RIPON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team capped off its weekend at the Red Hawks Invitational with a Saturday sweep, defeating Lawrence 3-1 in the first match before sweeping host Ripon 3-0 in the afternoon affair. With the victories, the Warriors went 3-1 for the second straight weekend and improve their overall record to 8-5.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Lawrence 1; Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Ripon 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (8-5), Lawrence (1-14), Ripon (5-7)
- Location: Weiske Gymnasium, Ripon, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED (LAWRENCE)
- In a back-and-forth opening set, Lawrence managed to come away with a 25-23 victory to take a 1-0 lead.
- WLC bounced back with an early 11-5 advantage before closing out the 25-15 set victory capped off by an ace by Cassidy Johnson (Germantown, Wis.).
- The Warriors took the 2-1 lead with a third set 25-15 victory.
- Wisconsin Lutheran closed out the match with a fourth and final set win of 25-15.
- WLC served up a season-high 15 aces and its 52 kills, 53 assists, and 11 total blocks were good for second-most in a match this season.
- Wisconsin Lutheran also hit .239 for the match, its second-best output in 2018.
- Mercedes Pye (Zion, Ill.) posted a double-double with 16 kills and 15 digs.
- Johnson dished out a team-high 48 assists, while Dayton Pye (Zion, Ill.) led the team with 19 digs. Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill.) contributed 11 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED (RIPON)
- The Warriors forced a timeout while holding a 17-12 lead before closing out the 25-17 set one victory.
- Wisconsin Lutheran took a decisive lead with a 25-19 victory in the second set.
- WLC concluded the sweep with a convincing 25-17 victory over the hosts.
- The Green and White hit a season-high .260, bolstered by 18 kills in the second set alone.
- Mercedes Pye added another double-double with 11 kills and 17 digs.
- Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) also added a double-double with 11 kills and 14 digs.
- Johnson had 38 of the 44 assists in the match for the Warriors.
- Dayton Pye was named to the six-member All-Tournament Team.
- After 13 straight road matches to begin the season, WLC plays its home opener Tuesday night when it hosts Marian (4-5, 1-0 NACC). First serve is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. inside the Recreation Complex. Live stats and video will be available for the match at WLCSports.com.