RIPON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team bounced back from an earlier 3-0 defeat against Carroll by sweeping Central 3-0 in its final match Friday evening at the Red Hawks Invitational.
- Final Scores: Carroll 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 0; Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Central 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (6-5), Carroll (6-4), Central (4-6)
- Location: Weiske Gymnasium, Ripon, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED (CARROLL)
- The Warriors never held the lead in the opening set vs. the Pioneers. Despite trailing by just one point at 16-15, Carroll closed out the set on a 9-2 scoring run for a 25-17 win. CU hit an impressive .407 in the set compared to WLC's .061 hitting percentage.
- Wisconsin Lutheran scored the first point of the second set, but found itself in an 11-2 hole. WLC came within six points late, but couldn't climb any closer in a 25-16 set two loss. The Green and White were held to a match-low .059 hitting percentage in the set.
- WLC held an 11-9 lead in the third set, but Carroll scored six straight points for a 15-9 lead that it never relinquished and went on to win 25-20.
- Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) paced the Warriors offense with 12 kills and 11 digs. The senior hit a team-best .323 for the match.
- Cassidy Johnson (Germantown, Wis.) registered all but one of the team's 27 assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED (CENTRAL)
- The Warriors rebounded in their final match of the night by sweeping Central for their third straight win over the Dutch. Wisconsin Lutheran won the match by scores of 25-22, 25-19, and 25-20.
- Grulke against posted double-digit kills with 10 to lead the team, while tallying 12 digs for her fifth double-double of the season.
- Johnson added a double-double of her own with 29 assists and 10 digs, also her fifth double-double of the year.
- Dayton Pye (Zion, Ill.) collected 13 digs defensively for the Warriors.
- The Warriors close out their final road tournament of the season tomorrow when they face Lawrence (1-12) at 12:00 p.m. followed by a matchup against host Ripon (5-5) at 2:00 p.m.