ROCKFORD, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team opened its Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference schedule Wednesday night by sweeping Rockford in three sets on the road. The win marked the Warriors' first victory to open conference play since 2013 and their fifth straight overall over the Regents.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Rockford 0 (25-18, 25-10, 25-18)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (5-4, 1-0 NACC), Rockford (2-8, 0-1 NACC)
- Location: Seaver Center, Rockford, Ill.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors trailed 2-0 early in the first set, but scored the next four points and never looked back. Wisconsin Lutheran collected a match-best 15 kills in the first game en route to a 25-18 win.
- WLC jumped out to a commanding 15-1 lead in the second set and led by as many as 18 points (24-6) on its way to a 25-10 win. The Regents were held to just -.222 hitting in the set.
- Wisconsin Lutheran opened the third set with a 12-3 advantage and led by as many as 11. Rockford came within five points at 22-17 before the Warriors closed out the match with a 25-18 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Grace Tomhave (Lake Mills, Wis.) paced Wisconsin Lutheran with eight kills and Alyssa Charron (Appleton, Wis.) added seven on just one error and 13 attempts.
- Cassidy Johnson (Germantown, Wis.) totaled 22 assists and Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) served up six aces.
- Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill.) tallied 12 digs, while Grulke added nine.
- The Warriors racked up a season-high 14 service aces and secured their third sweep of the year.
FOR THE FOES
- Emily Johannes collected seven kills and 10 digs to lead the Regents. Casey Sheetz assisted on 13 kills.
- The Warriors travel to Ripon Friday and Saturday for the Red Hawks Invitational. WLC will face Carroll (4-4) and Central (3-5) on its opening day of play at 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., respectively.