OSHKOSH, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team finished its weekend at the UW-Oshkosh Pizza Hut Classic Saturday, defeating UW-Stout 3-2 before falling 3-0 to Elmhurst. Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) and Cassidy Johnson (Germantown, Wis.) were both named to the All-Tournament Team as the Warriors finished tied for the most wins at the eight-team tournament.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, UW-Stout 2; Elmhurst 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (4-4), UW-Stout (4-3), Elmhurst (4-5)
- Location: Kolf Sports Center, Oshkosh, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED (UW-STOUT)
- The Warriors jumped out to a commanding 6-0 lead in the opening set before the Blue Devils knotted the score at 14-14. Wisconsin Lutheran tallied the next two points and then scored six straight to come away with the 25-17 set one win.
- WLC never held the lead in the second set, but kept within striking distance as UW-Stout never led by more than four points at any time throughout the set. UWS held on for the 25-21 set two win.
- The Blue Devils jumped out to a 7-1 lead over the Warriors in the third set and built a lead of as many as 10 points en route to the 25-17 win and a 2-1 lead.
- Wisconsin Lutheran faced a must-win fourth set, but found itself trailing 18-11 before clawing back to take a 22-21 lead and then holding on for a thrilling 28-26 win.
- The Green and White came out on fire in the fifth set, jumping out to an unprecedented 10-0 lead. The Warriors cruised to a 15-3 win to take the match 3-2.
- Mercedes Pye (Zion, Ill.) paced the Warriors with a match-high 13 kills and 14 digs for a double-double, while Abby Raasch (Stillwater, Minn.) added 10 kills. Johnson posted 41 assists and 12 digs also for a double-double. Melissa Ericson's (Lisle, Ill.) 17 digs led five players with double-digit dig totals. Alyssa Charron (Appleton, Wis.) recorded nine of WLC's 26 block assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED (ELMHURST)
- The Warriors struggled offensively in their final match of the weekend, hitting just .010 against the Bluejays. Elmhurst hit an impressive .345 and won the opening set 25-19. Wisconsin Lutheran came close in the second set, but was plagued by 10 attacking errors and fell 25-22. EC collected its largest margin of victory in the third set, 25-18.
- Mercedes Pye once again led Wisconsin Lutheran in kills with six. Johnson contributed 21 assists, and Ericson tallied 11 digs.
- Wisconsin Lutheran plays its first NACC match of the season Wednesday at Rockford (2-7, 0-0 NACC). First serve is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. inside the Seaver Center. Live video will be available for the contest at WLCSports.com.