OSHKOSH, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team evened its early-season record at 3-3 after a pair of 3-0 sweeps over Martin Luther and St. Norbert Friday night at the UW-Oshkosh Pizza Hut Classic inside the Kolf Sports Center.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Martin Luther 0; Wisconsin Lutheran 3, St. Norbert 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-3), Martin Luther (0-6), St. Norbert (1-5)
- Location: Kolf Sports Center, Oshkosh, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED (MARTIN LUTHER)
- The Warriors opened the first set by hitting .333 with eight kills and just one hitting error. Conversely, Martin Luther was held to just -.059 hitting in the opening set. Wisconsin Lutheran won the opening stanza, 25-13.
- WLC won the second set 25-16 despite just six kills in the game. The Warriors posted a .133 attack percentage en route to the second set win.
- Wisconsin Lutheran tied a match-high by posting a .333 hitting percentage with nine kills and just one error in the third frame. The Warriors were victorious 25-19 and came away with the three-set sweep.
- Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) tallied a match-high eight kills, while Cassidy Johnson (Germantown, Wis.) passed out six assists. Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill.) added nine digs and a pair of service aces.
HOW IT HAPPENED (ST. NORBERT)
- Wisconsin Lutheran went on an 11-1 scoring run in the opening set to take a 12-4 lead. WLC pushed its lead to as many as 10 points before winning the set 25-17.
- In a back-and-forth second set in which the Warriors trailed for the majority, the Green and White rattled off six of the set's final seven points to collect a 25-21 win.
- The Warriors held a commanding 18-8 lead in the third set, but an 11-1 run by the Green Knights knotted the set up at 19-19. SNC took its first lead of the set at 24-23, but Wisconsin Lutheran battled back to win the set 27-25 and win its second straight match 3-0.
- Grulke posted a team-best 15 kills and was one of three players to collect nine digs. Johnson dished out 30 assists and dug nine attacks, while Ericson also added nine digs. WLC hit .231 for the match, while SNC hit .154.
- Wisconsin Lutheran is back on the court for day two of the UW-Oshkosh Pizza Hut Classic tomorrow. The Warriors will face UW-Stout (4-1) at 9:30 a.m. and Elmhurst (2-5) at 1:30 p.m.