PLYMOUTH, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team opened its 2018 campaign with a thrilling five-set victory, 3-2, over Oglethorpe. The Warriors then dropped a 3-0 decision to UW-La Crosse in the nightcap of the doubleheader to earn a split Friday in the Lakeland Tournament inside Woltzen Gymnasium.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Oglethorpe 2; UW-La Crosse 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-1), Oglethorpe (0-1), UW-La Crosse (1-0)
- Location: Woltzen Gymnasium, Plymouth, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED (OGLETHORPE)
- OU used a quick 9-4 start which they never relinquished to cruise to an easy 25-18 first set victory.
- The Warriors recovered in the second set to even the score following a 25-16 set win. WLC posted a match-high .238 attack percentage and scored the first seven of nine points to gain an advantage.
- Oglethorpe took the 2-1 advantage after a 25-17 third set victory in which it posted a match-high .389 attack percentage due to just one error which capitalizing on seven Warriors errors.
- The Green and White forced a decisive fifth set following a 25-15 fourth set victory. Wisconsin Lutheran used a 7-0 run to gain a 17-10 advantage halfway through the set.
- OU held a late 12-9 lead, but the Warriors used a quick 3-0 spurt to even up the set. With the score tied at 13-13, a kill from Cassidy Johnson (Germantown, Wis.) and an OU attack error closed out the match for Wisconsin Lutheran.
- Grace Tomhave (Lake Mills, Wis.) led the attack with 18 kills, while Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) posted a double-double with 11 kills and 12 digs.
- Johnson dished out 37 assists, while adding a team-high 13 digs, and contributing five kills.
HOW IT HAPPENED (UW-LA CROSSE)
- After a back-and-forth affair throughout, the Warriors gained a 19-16 lead late in the opening set of the nightcap. UWL rallied to score the final three points and take the opening set, 25-21.
- The Eagles used a quick 4-0 run to gain some separation at 17-12 in the second set before closing out the 25-17 victory to gain a 2-0 set advantage.
- UWL committed just one error en route to a match-high .423 attack percentage as they closed out the sweep, 25-16.
- Grulke led the Warriors with nine kills and eight digs.
- Johnson posted her second double-double of the day with 16 assists and 11 digs.
- The Warriors are right back in action tomorrow when they take on NACC foe and tournament host Lakeland (2-0) at 10:00 a.m. in non-conference action, before closing out the tournament with a contest against Cardinal Stritch (4-4) at 2:00 p.m. Links to live stats and video will be available for both matches at WLCsports.com.