MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team battled back from a 2-0 deficit, but dropped its second consecutive five-set match Saturday night as the Concordia Chicago Cougars defeated the Warriors 3-2 on Senior Night.
- Final Score: Concordia Chicago 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 2 (25-19, 25-17, 30-32, 22-25, 16-14)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-15, 5-5 NACC), Concordia Chicago (18-10, 5-5 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams traded points early in the match and were knotted at eight, until the Warriors scored four straight and took a 12-8 lead, forcing the Cougars to take a timeout.
- CUC tied the game at 16 after using a four-point swing of its own, and then used a 9-3 run to close out the game, winning 25-19.
- Concordia Chicago jumped out to a quick 9-4 lead in the second set, but the Warriors answered with four straight points to cut the Cougars lead to just one.
- CUC responded to the WLC run by scoring seven of the next eight points, taking a 17-12 lead and forcing the Warriors to call a timeout.
- The Cougars out-scored the Warriors 8-5 in the final stages of the second set to earn a 25-17 victory.
- In the third set, CUC held a 10-8 lead, but the Warriors came back to take a 14-12 lead.
- The Warriors scored three straight to push their lead to four, forcing the Cougars to take a timeout.
- After leading 21-18, the Warriors and Cougars traded points, but the hosts retained a 22-19 lead.
- Concordia Chicago came storming back, out-scoring the Warriors 5-2 and tying the game at 24.
- The two teams traded points and the score remained tied at 26.
- The teams remained deadlocked at 30, but the Warriors used a kill from Alysha Kahlow (Fond du Lac, Wis.) and a CUC error take the third set, 32-30.
- Wisconsin Lutheran carried momentum into the fourth set, taking a 10-4 lead and forcing the Cougars to take a timeout.
- WLC pushed its lead to eight points, 16-8, but CUC answered with an 11-5 run to cut the lead to just two points.
- The Warriors forced a fifth set after taking the fourth game, 25-22.
- In the final set, Concordia Chicago stormed out to a 5-1 lead, but Wisconsin Lutheran responded with four straight points to tie the game at five.
- Neither team could find an edge until WLC scored three straight to push its lead to three, 11-8.
- The Cougars fought back to cut the Warriors lead to just one, but a kill from Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) put WLC ahead 14-13.
- CUC responded with three straight points to take the set, 16-14 and the match, 3-2.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Grulke registered her third consecutive double-double with a team-high 21 kills and 13 digs.
- Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis.) dished out 53 assists, her second consecutive night with 50+ assists and also added 17 digs.
- Five different Warriors registered 10+ digs, with Morgan Scanlon (Racine, Wis.) leading the way with 24.
- WLC hit .183 in the match.
- Wisconsin Lutheran honored its two seniors, Greta Sievert (Denver, Colo.) and Nicole Klipstein (Hartford, Wis.), during a prematch ceremony.
FOR THE FOES
- Jaylynn Johnson led the way for the Cougars with 15 kills, while Austin Thompson added 12.
- Nicoletta Crowley dished out 47 assists, adding eight digs.
- Elise Sombke registered 23 digs while Courtney Luciano added 13.
- The Cougars hit .230 as a team and added 13 total blocks.
- The Warriors conclude NACC regular season play Tuesday when they face cross-town rival Alverno (6-19, 1-9 NACC) at Reiman Gymnasium at 7:00 p.m. WLC is still looking to secure a NACC Tournament berth. In the lone matchup last season, WLC defeated the Inferno 3-0. Live stats and video for the match will be available at WLCSports.com