MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team dropped a heartbreaking five-set match to non-conference foe Maranatha Tuesday night inside the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Maranatha 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 2 (25-20, 17-25, 25-16, 18-25, 11-15)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (7-12), Maranatha (12-8)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors and Sabercats were knotted at 12 early in the first set, but WLC used a 7-3 run to force Maranatha into a timeout.
- WLC held a 23-18 advantage late in the first set, and won the set 25-20
- The Warriors registered 18 kills in the first set, including Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) with six and Alyssa Charon (Appleton, Wis.) with five.
- In the second set, Maranatha jumped out to an 19-12 lead, forcing WLC to take a timeout to stop the Sabercats momentum.
- Following the timeout, the Sabercats used a 6-5 run to take the second set, tying the match 1-1.
- The Warriors controlled the early stage of the third set, using a 17-5 run to establish a healthy lead.
- Maranatha cut the WLC lead to eight, but Alyssa Charron (Appleton, Wis.) recorded a block and a kill to close out the game and give the Warriors a 25-16 victory in set three.
- The Warriors were forced to call a timeout after Maranatha led 13-8 early in the fourth set.
- The Sabercats held a 21-15 advantage and eventually won the set by a score of 25-18.
- In the fifth set, the two teams traded points were tied at seven apiece.
- Maranatha scored three quick points, and forced the Warriors to call a timeout, trailing 10-7.
- The Warriors came close to completing the comeback in the final set, but fell by a final score of 15-11.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Charron led the Warriors with a career-high 18 kills, while Grulke registered a double-double with 15 kills and 11 digs.
- Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis.) totaled 27 assists while adding eight digs.
- Heather Warskow (Phoenix, Ariz.) distributed 23 assists and had four block assists on the night.
- Morgan Scanlon (Racine, Wis.) added 38 digs in the losing effort.
- The Warriors hit .123 in the contest, with a match-high of .302 in the first set, which they were victorious in.
- WLC recorded 11 blocks in the contest.
FOR THE FOE
- Alexis Bueltel registered 13 kills for the visitors, while Claire Hansel added 12.
- Four Sabercats registered 10+ assists, with Katie Bender leading the way with 34.
- Karley Johnson passed out 23 assists while Kelsey Johnson added 19.
- Maranatha hit .147 for the contest, with a match-high .263 in the first set.
- The Warriors return to NACC play when they travel to first-place Aurora (14-5, 4-0 NACC) Friday. In their lone matchup last season, the Spartans defeated WLC 3-1. Links to live stats and video will be available for the match at WLCSports.com