MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team defeated cross-town rival MSOE in four sets Saturday afternoon by scores of 26-24, 17-25, 25-22, 25-22 at the Recreation Complex on Alumni Day.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, MSOE 1 (26-24, 17-25, 25-22, 25-22)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (7-11, 2-2 NACC), MSOE (9-12, 1-3 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors had control of the opening set early, holding a 17-10 lead midway through the first. WLC had match point at 24-19, but the Raiders rattled off five straight points on five WLC errors. The hosts scored the final two points, taking the first set by a score of 26-24.
- After a back-and-forth start to the second set that had the score tied at 11-11, the Raiders scored six of the next seven. MSOE capitalized on a -.036 kill percentage from WLC and evened the match at one set apiece.
- The third set was closely contested, but an assisted block and three straight kills from Nicole Klipstein (Hartford, Wis.) gave the Warriors a 10-7 lead. After the Warriors saw their lead grow to 15-9, MSOE scored seven out of the next eight points to knot the score at 16-16. After a 22-22 tie, the Warriors scored the next three points. The Warriors had a kill percentage of .429.
- The final set was another closely contested one with nine ties in the set. After a WLC timeout with a 23-22 lead, the hosts scored the next two points to complete the four-set victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Grace Tomhave (Verona, Wis.) led the way with 13 kills, while Klipstein added 12.
- Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis.) posted a double-double with 26 assists and 13 digs. in the contest, Heather Warskow (Phoenix, Ariz.) added 13 assists for the hosts.
- Morgan Scanlon (Racine, Wis.) led the team with 16 digs, while Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis.) added 12.
- The Warriors hit .127 in the contest.
FOR THE FOES
- Hannah Pekarek led the Raiders with 11 kills. Abby Born recorded 22 assists, while Allie Luarent added 17.
- Aleah Quast led MSOE with 17 digs with Pekarek adding 16.
- Milwaukee School of Engineering hit .172 in the match.
- The Warriors take a midweek break from NACC play when they host Maranatha (11-8) Tuesday inside the Recreation Complex at 7:00 p.m. The Sabercats defeated WLC in straight sets in Watertown September 16. Links to live stats and video will be available for the match at WLCSports.com