LISLE, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team concluded its 2016 season on Saturday afternoon with a pair of wins at the Eagle Classic, defeating North Central (Ill.) 3-2 and Lake Forest 3-1 at the Rice Center.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, North Central (Ill.) 2; Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Lake Forest 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (14-15), North Central (Ill.) (13-15), Lake Forest (7-17)
- Location: Rice Center, Lisle, Ill. | Attendance: 60
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. NORTH CENTRAL (Ill.)
- WLC overcame a slow start and a 15-9 deficit in the opening set to win the first set 26-24 in part to a 5-0 run to conclude the opening set.
- NCC won the next two sets by scores of 25-20 and 25-21 to hold a 2-1 lead.
- The Warriors refused to go away and took advantage of nine errors by the Cardinals to force a fifth set with a 25-21 fourth-set win.
- WLC once again needed extra points to come away with the final set, winning 16-14. The Warriors stormed out to a 6-2 lead and scored the final four points of the set to win the match.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE VS. NORTH CENTRAL (Ill.)
- Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis./Prairie du Chien) led the Warriors in kills and assists on the way to recording a triple-double, posting 13 kills, 24 assists, and 18 digs.
- Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis./Hustisford) collected 11 kills and 17 digs for a double-double of her own.
- Megan Wierzbicki (Hartford, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) led the defense with 22 digs.
- Cara Howell paced the Cardinals with 16 kills and 16 digs. Valerie Hunt and Ashley Powers dished out 24 and 23 assists, respectively.
- The Warriors held a slight attack advantage, posting a .136 percentage compared to NCC's .102.
- WLC avenged an earlier-season loss to the Cardinals with today's win.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. LAKE FOREST
- The Warriors used a 6-0 run to post an 11-4 lead early in the match to push themselves to a 25-21 first set victory.
- Lake Forest won the second set 25-20 to even the score at 1-1.
- The Foresters 12 errors helped WLC cruise to a 25-19 victory to hold the advantage in the match. An 11-1 run helped the Warriors complete the comeback in the third set.
- Like the opening match, WLC won the final set 26-24. Wisconsin Lutheran held a 20-12 lead late, but Lake Forest came back to tie the set at 21-21, before WLC ended the match with three straight points.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE VS. LAKE FOREST
- Grulke led the way with her second double-double of the day, recording 13 kills and 11 digs.
- Andrea Hafemeister (Milwaukee, Wis./Wauwatosa West) had 10 kills and nine digs to help the WLC attack.
- Pattison dished out 21 assists and recorded 12 digs. Wierzbicki led the team with 19 digs.
- Grace Larson led Lake Forest with 16 kills and 13 digs. Paige Jespersen added her own double-double with 11 kills and 11 digs. Lexi Kleva had 44 of the team's 48 assists in the match.
- The Warriors, who won five of their final six matches, finish their 2016 season 14-15 overall and 4-7 in the NACC. WLC's 14 wins are the most since the 2011 season when it finished with 19.