MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – After winning the opening two sets, the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team dropped a heartbreaker to Benedictine 3-2 in its Homecoming match on Saturday night at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Benedictine 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 2 (20-25, 17-25, 25-20, 25-14, 17-15)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (9-11, 1-4 NACC), Benedictine (8-11, 3-1 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 129
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors started strong and took a 12-6 lead with the help of an 11-4 run. After BenU stormed back to tie the score at 13-13, the Warriors scored the next four to take an advantage that they would not give back.
- Wisconsin Lutheran dominated the second set and led by as many as eight at the 22-14 mark of the set. WLC posted an impressive .314 attack percentage with 15 kills and only four errors.
- The Eagles started their comeback by coming out strong and led 7-2 in the third set. After WLC closed the gap and tied it as late as 18-18, BenU closed out on a 7-2 run to force a fourth set.
- Benedictine evened the match at two sets apiece by posting a .286 attack percentage in the fourth set on 12 kills and just two attack errors.
- In a back-and-forth decisive set, the Warriors denied Benedictine three match points before dropping the set, 17-15.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis./Hustisford) was the only Warriors player to reach double-digit kills, finishing with 18. Grulke also recorded 11 digs for a double-double.
- Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis./Prairie du Chien) added a double-double with 21 assists and 29 digs.
- Megan Wierzbicki (Hartford, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) collected 18 digs and Morgan Scanlon (Racine, Wis./Lutheran) added 11.
- BenU was led with 18 kills from Taylor Dunwell. Alyssa O'Boyle posted a double-double with 22 assists and 16 digs.
- The Warriors return to action with a non-conference match against Maranatha (12-4) in Watertown next Friday night at 7:00 p.m. In an earlier-season matchup on September 10 at the WLC Invite, the Sabercats defeated WLC, 3-0. MBU is currently riding a seven-match winning streak. A link to live video will be available at WLCSports.com.