LISLE, Ill. (WLCSports.com) – On the opening night of the IlAC-NACC Challenge, the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team started strong by defeating Simpson in four sets, but ended the night by falling to Luther in three.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Simpson 1; Luther 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (8-7), Simpson (6-7), Luther (11-4)
- Location: Rice Center, Lisle, Ill. | Attendance: 50
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. SIMPSON
- The Warriors snagged a win in their first match at the IlAC-NACC Challenge against Simpson by scores of 29-27, 20-25, 25-20, and 25-20.
- The Warriors and Storm were within 1-3 points of each other in the opening set, but an attack error by Simpson and a kill by the Warriors allowed WLC to pull ahead and win the first set.
- The Storm led the entire second set, seeming to take control from the start.
- Simpson held a 20-13 lead in the third set, until the Warriors went on an eight-point run and held on to take a 2-1 lead in the match.
- In the fourth set, the score was even until the Warriors took control with the final four set points to win the match.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE VS. SIMPSON
- Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis./Hustisford) led all players with 16 kills and dug up 10 digs for a double-double.
- Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis./Prairie du Chien) was the leader in assists with 26, while also contributing 10 digs for yet another double-double.
- Morgan Scanlon (Racine, Wis./Lutheran) recorded 19 digs and Carly Warner (Clear Lake, Wis./Clear Lake) added five block assists.
- For the Storm, Jaqueline Luth totaled 17 kills, Alyssa Mathews recorded 27 assists, and Kayla Aronow dug 19 attacks.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. LUTHER
- The Warriors fell in three sets to Luther in their second match of the night by scores of 25-17, 25-15, and 25-18.
- The Norse pulled away midway through the opening set for a 10-point lead to take the opener, 25-17.
- A five-point spurt and a pair of four-point runs in the second set helped Luther take a 2-0 lead with a 25-15 win.
- Luther led for the entire third set en route to defeating the Warriors.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE VS. LUTHER
- Pattison led the Warriors with seven kills and 12 assists. Megan Wierzbicki (Hartford, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) totaled 15 digs.
- Luther's Jamie Sindlinger totaled 11 kills, Sam Sixta had 43 assists and 10 digs, while Taylor Gaide also tallied 10 digs.
- The Norse hit a stifling .333 (47K, 13E, 102TA) for the match, compared to the Warriors' .000 (22K, 22E, 98TA).
- The Warriors continue play at the IlAC-NACC Challenge tomorrow. WLC will face Central (5-8) at 12:00 p.m. and Dubuque (8-7) at 4:00 p.m.