MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team couldnt quite rebound from a slow start on Tuesday night, as it fell to the Aurora Spartans 3-1 in the Northern Athetics Collegiate Conference opener for both teams at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Aurora 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 1 (25-12, 25-14, 25-27, 25-17)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (4-3, 0-1 NACC), Aurora (4-5, 1-0 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 81
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Aurora jumped out to a 4-0 lead and never trailed in the opening set en route to a 25-12 win. The Warriors were plagued with 12 hitting errors in the first set.
- Wisconsin Lutheran scored the first two points of the second set, but the Spartans came back with six straight points and never trailed again on their way to a 25-14 win. AU hit a team-best .250 in the second set.
- The Warriors turned things around in a back-and-forth third set. WLC led by a set-high six points at 13-7 before the Spartans chipped away and eventually held a 25-24 lead. Wisconsin Lutheran fended off match point by scoring three straight and won the set 27-25. The Warriors hit a match-high .326 in the set which included 19 kills.
- In a fairly even fourth set, the Spartans broke open a 15-15 tie by scoring nine straight points and went on to win the set and the match, 25-17.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis./Hustisford) was the only Warriors player to reach double-digit kills, finishing with 14.
- Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis./Prairie du Chien) added a double-double with 16 assists and 12 digs. Megan Wierzbicki (Hartford, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) and Morgan Scanlon (Racine, Wis./Lutheran) collected 16 and 15 digs, respectively.
- Aurora was led by Peyton McKenzie's 17 kills, while Katie Vondra and Emily Lines each posted double-doubles.
- The Spartans have won five straight over the Warriors and lead the series 7-5 since beginning NACC play in 2006.
- The Warriors begin a stretch of 12 straight road or neutral site matches on Thursday, continuing conference play against Concordia Wisconsin (6-2, 1-0 NACC). First serve is slated for 7:00 p.m. in Mequon. Live stats and video will be available for the match at WLCSports.com.