MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team split its home-opening matches on Saturday, defeating Illinois Tech 3-1 in the opener before falling 3-0 to Maranatha Baptist later in the day.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Illinois Tech 1; Maranatha Baptist 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (4-2), Illinois Tech (3-4), Maranatha Baptist (5-3)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 127
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. ILLINOIS TECH
- The Warriors avenged an opening-weekend loss to the Scarlet Hawks by winning in four sets on Saturday by scores of 25-21, 19-25, 25-23, and 25-13.
- WLC trailed 5-1 early in the opening set, but a four-point swing midway through gave them a lead it would never relinquish.
- IIT held the lead for the entire second set, leading by as many as six points on two different occasions.
- The Warriors claimed a back-and-forth win in the third set to come out on top 25-23.
- Wisconsin Lutheran dominated the fourth set for a 25-13 win, using three runs of at least three straight points to secure the match win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE VS. ILLINOIS TECH
- Britley Grulke (Hustisford, Wis./Hustisford) led all players with 16 kills. Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis./Prairie du Chien) and Heather Warskow (Phoenix, Ariz./Arizona Lutheran) contributed with 25 and 10 assists, respectively, while Megan Wierzbicki (Hartford, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) recorded 15 digs. The Warriors hit a match-best .379 in the fourth set.
- Katherine McCutcheon totaled 15 kills, Courtney Darling passed out 32 assists, and Cassie Hansen collected 13 digs for IIT.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. MARANATHA BAPTIST
- WLC suffered its first 3-0 sweep of the season, falling 27-25, 25-19, and 25-21.
- The Sabercats held off the Warriors for set point in the opener and battled to a 27-25 win.
- Maranatha Baptist controlled the second set, leading by as many as eight points.
- The Warriors held an 18-13 lead in the third set before a 9-1 Maranatha Baptist run gave the visitors the third-set win and sweep.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE VS. MARANATHA BAPTIST
- Pattison picked up a double-double with 16 kills and 12 assists to lead the Warriors. She was just one dig shy of a triple-double, leading the team with nine. Warskow added 11 assists. WLC never hit above .179 in each of its three sets.
- Alison Renz led MBU with 14 kills, Julia Gunst tallied 19 assists, and Katie Bender added 13 digs.
- The Sabercats hit .248 for the match, including a stellar .364 in the second set.
- The Warriors open Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference play on Tuesday when they host Aurora (3-5, 0-0 NACC) at 7:00 p.m. Live stats and video will be available for the match at WLCSports.com.