OSHKOSH, Wis. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team opened its weekend at the Pizza Hut Classic by earning a split, as it fell to host and 21st-ranked UW-Oshkosh (3-0) before defeating St. Norbert (3-1) in its final match Friday night at the Kolf Sports Center.
- Final Scores: UW-Oshkosh 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 0 (25-15, 25-21, 25-15); Wisconsin Lutheran 3, St. Norbert 1 (17-25, 25-13, 25-18, 25-22)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-5), UW-Oshkosh (8-1), St. Norbert (3-3)
- Location: Kolf Sports Center, Oshkosh, Wis. | Attendance: 185
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. UW-OSHKOSH
- The Titans used a late run in the first set to pull away, scoring 13 of the final 17 points to close it out.
- WLC battled with the nationally-ranked Oshkosh squad in the second set, falling 25-21 with 13 kills.
- Another late run hurt the Warriors in the final set, as they were out-scored 16-5 in the final 21 points of the match.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE VS. UW-OSHKOSH
- MacKayla Menges (Manitowoc, Wis./Lutheran) racked up a match-high eight kills with Carly Warner (Clear Lake, Wis./Clear Lake) close behind with seven of her own.
- Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis./Prairie du Chien) tallied a team-high 17 assists in the contest.
- Megan Wierzbicki (Hartford, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) led the Warriors with 18 digs.
- WLC hit just -.008 for the match, while UWO hit .158.
- Oshkosh's Lexi Thiel dished out 25 assists. Brooke Brinkman and Laura Trochinski had seven kills apiece.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. ST. NORBERT
- After dropping the opening set against SNC, the Warriors rallied to take the next three sets.
- WLC dominated the second set, taking it 25-13.
- Wisconsin Lutheran continued its attack in the third set, winning 25-18 while doubling up St. Norbert in kills, 14-7.
- In the final set, the Warriors added to their success with a .375 hitting percentage, winning the close frame 25-22 to finish off the match and avenge a loss to SNC from a week ago.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE VS. ST. NORBERT
- Menges once again led the Warriors in kills with 14. Britley Gulke (Hustisford, Wis./Hustisford) contributed 10 kills of her own.
- Alexis Hafemeister (Milwaukee, Wis./Wauwautosa West) and Pattison accounted for all 43 of the Warriors' assists in the contest with 22 and 21, respectively.
- WLC had three players in double-digits for digs in the match. Leading the charge was Wierzbicki with 16. Pattison (14) and Hafemesiter (13) also added contributions to WLC's 80-dig total as the pair recorded double-doubles.
- WLC hit a much-improved .226 and totalled 7.5 blocks, both nearly doubling that of SNC.
- Kaitlin Delahaut and Halie Ferry each posted double-doubles to pace the Green Knights.
- The Warriors return to action tomorrow morning at the Pizza Hut Classic at UW-Oshkosh. WLC's first match will take place at 9:30 a.m. against St. Scholastica (4-4). Wisconsin Lutheran will conclude tournament play against St. Catherine (4-1) with an 11:30 a.m. match. Both teams began their weekends by winning both of their matches Friday night.