MILWAUKEE - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's volleyball team opened its 2015 season Tuesday night with a pair of non-conference victories over Carroll and Lawrence at the Kern Center in downtown Milwaukee. The two wins mark the first 2-0 start to a season for the Warriors dating back to the 1999 season.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Carroll 0 (25-15, 26-24, 25-23); Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Lawrence 1 (25-15, 19-25, 27-25, 25-13)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-0), Carroll (0-2), Lawrence (0-2)
- Location: Kern Center, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 402
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. CARROLL
- The Warriors swept the Pioneers in three straight sets, including a convincing 10-point win in the opening set in which WLC hit .261.
- WLC held on for a pair of narrow two-point victories in sets two and three to hold off the Pios for its first win of the year.
- Wisconsin Lutheran never trailed by more than two points in each of the three sets.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE VS. CARROLL
- MacKayla Menges (Manitowoc, Wis./Lutheran) tallied a match-high 12 kills in the opening match.
- Courtney Pattison (Prairie du Chien, Wis./Prairie du Chien) and Alexis Hafemeister (Milwaukee, Wis./Wauwatosa West) passed out 15 and 12 assists, respectively.
- Defensively, Megan Wierzbicki (Hartford, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) dug up 10 attacks and WLC totaled 12 block assists as a team.
- Carroll was plagued by 20 attack errors and 14 service errors in the match.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. LAWRENCE
- The Warriors led by as many as 11 points in the first set and went on to a convicning 25-15 opening-set win.
- WLC trailed just 19-17 in set two before the Vikings pulled away for a 25-19 win in set two.
- The Warriors came from behind in a back-and-forth third set to hold on for a 27-25 win, before pulling away with ease in the fourth set and claim their second win of the night.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE VS. LAWRENCE
- Pattison posted an impressive triple-double in just her second collegiate match with 11 kills, 16 assists, and 10 digs. She was one of four players to reach double-digit digs on the night, as Wierzbicki led the way with 26.
- Alexis Hafemeister recorded a double-double with 18 assists and 15 digs.
- Nicole Klipstein (Hartford, Wis./Hartford) and Carly Warner (Clear Lake, Wis./Clear Lake) added four block assists each as the Warriors finished with 16 for the match.
- Lawrence finished with more attack errors (36) than kills (34).
- The Warriors travel to Winona, Minn., this weekend for the Sugar Loaf Classic hosted by St. Mary's. WLC will face seventh-ranked UW-Stevens Point (0-0) and the host Cardinals (1-0) on Friday at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., respectively.