MILWAUKEE – The Wisconsin Lutheran College volleyball team was defeated 3-0 by both Simpson and Dubuque in each of its Friday night matches on the first day of the IIAC/NACC Challenge hosted by WLC inside the Recreation Complex.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors fell to 0-10, Simpson jumped to 7-6, and Dubuque improved to 9-12 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED: WLC vs. Simpson
- The Storm started strong in the first set, taking a quick 7-1 lead. WLC fought back to make the score 21-20 before Simpson took the set 25-21.
- Simpson again jumped out to an early lead in set two and led the entire match taking it 25-13.
- The Warriors fought back in the third set by taking an 8-4 lead to start things off. The Storm then recovered to take the set and match 25-20.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE: WLC vs. Simpson
- WLC hit .060 for the match, while the Storm finished with a .188 attacking percentage.
- Haley Feucht (Campbellsport, Wis./Campbellsport) led WLC with six kills. Megan Wierzbicki (Hartford, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) registered 14 digs, and Alexis Hafemeister (Milwaukee, Wis./Wauwatosa West) added 20 assists.
- Simpson was led by Elisa Wildy who tallied 12 kills and nine digs. Katie Kieffer added 24 assists for the Storm.
HOW IT HAPPENED: WLC vs. Dubuque
- The first set was close early until Dubuque went on a run to take the opener 25-20.
- Set two was tied at 5-5 until the Spartans pulled away to win 25-17.
- The Warriors and Spartans were neck and neck the entire third set but WLC fell just short, losing by a score of 25-23.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE: WLC vs. Dubuque
- WLC struggled offensively in the nightcap, hitting .035. The Spartans hit .160.
- The Warriors were once again led by Feucht's 11 kills. Wierzbicki totaled 16 digs and Alexis Hafemeister registered 25 assists and 12 digs for a double-double.
- Dubuque's kills' leader was Lauren Egnarski with nine. Kristin Wright had 13 digs and Alyssa Cose helped the team with 27 assists.
- The Warriors will wrap up the IIAC/NACC Challenge tomorrow playing host to Buena Vista (11-8) at 10 a.m. and Central (11-6) at 2 p.m. Both matches can be seen live on wlcsports.com.