NEW BERLIN, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's tennis team opened conference play Saturday afternoon with a split, dropping a 9-0 decision to Illinois Tech before winning its second match, 8-1, over Aurora at the Princeton Club.
- Final Scores: Illinois Tech 9, Wisconsin Lutheran 0; Wisconsin Lutheran 8, Aurora 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (3-2, 1-1 NACC), Illinois Tech (5-0, 1-0 NACC), Aurora (2-4, 1-2 NACC)
- Location: Princeton Club, New Berlin, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Conference newcomer and projected contender Illinois Tech took the opening match in dominating fashion, sweeping the doubles matches before taking all six singles matches in straight sets.
- All three doubles teams picked up victories for the Warriors in their second match against the Spartans. Hannah Gerbing (Pewaukee, Wis.) and Amanda Wietrzny (Pewaukee, Wis.) won 8-3 at No.1, Sandhya Akella (Carmel, Ind.) and Reebee Ratkowski (Waterford, Wis.) won 8-0 at No. 2, and the No. 3 team of Amanda Las (Bangor, Wis.) and Natalee Douangvilay (Milwaukee, Wis.) won by default.
- Gerbing, Ratkowski, Douangvilay, and Las all earned victories in singles play in either straight sets or by default. AU's lone win came in three sets at No. 1 singles.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The victory over Aurora gave Wisconsin Lutheran its second straight victory over the Spartans.
- Gerbing and Las each collected their team-leading third singles wins of the season.
- The Warriors continue conference play next Saturday on the road with matches at MSOE (0-5, 0-2 NACC) and Edgewood (1-2, 1-0 NACC) at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., respectively.