CHICAGO, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's tennis team opened its 2018 fall season with a split at River Park Tennis Courts Saturday afternoon, defeating Alverno 7-2 in the opener before dropping an 8-1 decision to host North Park.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 7, Alverno 2; North Park 8, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-1), Alverno (1-1), North Park (2-0)
- Location: River Park Tennis Courts, Chicago, Ill.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- All three doubles teams earned victories in the opener against Alverno as Hannah Gerbing (Pewaukee, Wis.) and Katarina Volkmann (Slinger, Wis.) won 8-3 at No.1. Amanda Wietrzny (Pewaukee, Wis.) and Reebee Ratkowski (Waterford, Wis.) won 8-1 at No. 2, and No. 3 won by default. Gerbing, Ratkowski, Natalee Douangvilay (Milwaukee, Wis.), and Amanda Las (Bangor, Wis.) all earned victories in singles play in either straight sets or by default.
- The Vikings took control early in the second match after winning all three doubles matches. Gerbing lost a tough three-set battle at No. 2 singles. Las was the lone victor after winning in straight sets, 7-6, 6-4, at No. 6.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Las surpassed last year's individual mark with a pair of victories in singles play on the day.
- The victory over Alverno gave Wisconsin Lutheran its third straight victory over the Inferno following a sweep of last year's series.
- The Warriors play their home opener Sunday when they host Beloit (0-0) at Elite Sports Club in Brookfield at 1:00 p.m. The Warriors took a pair of 8-1 decisions last year from the Bucs.