FOND DU LAC, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The fifth-seeded Wisconsin Lutheran College women's tennis team was edged by fourth-seeded Marian, 5-4, in a NACC Tournament First Round matchup Sunday night at Fond du Lac High School. The Sabres overcame a 4-1 deficit to win the last four singles matches and take the tournament opener from the Warriors.
- Final Score: Marian 5, Wisconsin Lutheran 4
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-10, 6-3 NACC), Marian (10-10, 6-3 NACC)
- Location: Fond du Lac High School, Fond du Lac, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors took two out of three doubles matches from the Sabres to open the contest. Paige Potaracke (La Crosse, Wis.) and Emily Boyd (Lebanon, Wis.) were 8-4 winners at No. 1, teaming up for their 12th win of the season.
- Hannah Gerbing (Pewaukee, Wis.) and Taylor Bergmann (Slinger, Wis.) claimed an 8-1 win at No. 3 for their sixth win as a team this year.
- Wisconsin Lutheran started singles play with two wins to take a 4-1 lead over Marian. Gerbing collected a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 5 for her 10th win of the season, and Reebee Ratkowski (Waterford, Wis.) was a 6-1, 6-4 winner at No. 6 for her team-leading 11th triumph of 2017-2018.
- The Sabres rallied, however, and won the final four singles matches to take the dual from the Warriors. MU won the decisive match at No. 3, 7-6 (10-8), 6-3.
- It was the Warriors' eighth NACC Tournament appearance and first since 2016, when they also fell to Marian in a First Round matchup.
- MU avenged an early-season 5-4 loss to the Warriors from last September.
- Wisconsin Lutheran wrapped up its 2017-2018 season 10-10 overall and 6-3 in the NACC. The 10 wins tie the highest win total since the 2012-2013 season.