HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (WLCSports.com) – In its first match in over five months, the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's tennis team earned a 5-4 victory over Montreat in its opening match of the PTR Spring TennisFest Sunday morning in Hilton Head Island, S.C.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Montreat 4
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (8-5), Montreat (1-9)
- Location: Evian Tennis Center, Hilton Head Island, S.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors earned narrow victories in the first two matches of the afternoon, with Paige Potaracke (La Crosse, Wis.) and Emily Boyd (Lebanon, Wis.) winning a close 9-8 match at the No. 1 singles position, followed by an 8-6 victory at the No. 2 doubles position from Katarina Volkmann (Slinger, Wis.) and Tabitha Schultz (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho).
- The Cavaliers won the next three matches, including the first two in singles play, but WLC rattled off three straight three-set singles victories from Boyd, Volkmann, and Hannah Gerbing (Pewaukee, Wis.) to secure the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- WLC won its second straight match and eighth of its last nine.
- Potaracke and Boyd won their sixth match of the year at the No. 1 doubles position.
- Boyd won both of her matches on the afternoon, and improved her record at the No. 3 singles position to 8-5 on the season.
- The Warriors continue their spring break trip when they face Greenville (1-1) Monday afternoon. The Panthers defeated Principia 9-0 in their last match March 3.