MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's tennis team won four of six singles matches, but it wasn't enough to overcome MSOE's fast start as the Raiders edged the Warriors 5-4 in the NACC opener for both teams on Friday night at Hart Park.
Final Score: MSOE 5, Wisconsin Lutheran 4
Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-3, 0-1 NACC), MSOE (1-3, 1-0 NACC)
Location: Hart Park, Wauwatosa, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Raiders got off to a fast start as they swept all three doubles matches from the Warriors by scores of 8-2, 8-2, and 8-6. Katarina Volkmann (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) and Hannah Gerbing (Pewaukee, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) fell despite a hard-fought 8-6 loss at No. 3.
- MSOE won the opening two flights of singles play in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3 and 6-1, 6-0, which proved to be the deciding factor.
- The Warriors rebounded by winning the final four singles flights in straight sets as well. Emily Boyd (Lebanon, Wis./Luther Preparatory) was a 6-1, 6-2 winner at No. 3, Volkmann picked up a 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 4, and both Kendra Bergmann (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) and Gerbing recorded two tight wins (7-5, 6-4 and 7-6, 6-4) to close out play.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- MSOE has edged WLC by a 5-4 final each of the last two seasons.
- The Warriors are now 7-3 against the Raiders since beginning NACC play in 2007.
- The Warriors have over a week off before resuming NACC play on the road next Saturday against Aurora (0-2, 0-1 NACC) and Dominican (1-1, 1-0 NACC).