Posted: Oct 23, 2019
MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's soccer team hosted Marian on Wednesday night, falling to the visiting Sabres 8-2 after four first-half goals limited the chance of a comeback at a rainy Warriors Soccer Field.
- Final Score: Marian 8, Wisconsin Lutheran 2
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (4-12-0, 3-7-0 NACC), Marian (7-9-0, 5-5-0 NACC)
- Location: Warriors Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- The Sabres raced out to a four-goal lead by the end of the first half, as they dominated the shot column with 20 attempts. Kylie Hanley scored three first half goals, and Shannon Coughlin added her 11th of the season as Marian led 4-0.
- After a Sabres goal to start the second half, the Warriors answered with a goal from junior Kendra Schumacher (Little Chute, Wis.), her eighth of the season, in the 62nd minute.
- Marian found the net four minutes later to make it 6-1 before freshman Katelyn Bonilla (Fond du Lac, Wis.) scored her eighth goal of the season in the 77th minute. She received a cross from Schumacher and headed it over the reach of the goalkeeper to the top of the net.
- MU added two more goals late, as Alicia Balken scored twice in a span of just 0:46 seconds to give Marian an 8-2 lead.
- Schumacher and Bonilla combined for five of the Warriors' seven shots in the match. Schumacher also tallied her team-leading fifth assist of the year.
- Freshman goalkeeper Kayla Pagel (Kenosha, Wis.) secured 14 of the 20 shots she faced in 74 minutes in goal. Junior Grace Asplin (Excelsior, Minn.) stopped two of the four shots she saw after entering in the second half.
- The Sabres attempted 36 shots, with 24 resulting on frame. Hanley paced the team with 11 shots and seven on target, while Ashley Welk was just behind her with nine shots and five on goal.
- Goalkeeper Kylie Lange finished with two saves on four shots faced for her sixth win of the season.
- The Warriors travel to face cross-town NACC foe MSOE (9-5-2, 6-2-1 NACC) on Saturday afternoon for their final road contest of the season starting at 3:30 p.m. Live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.