Posted: Sep 29, 2019
MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's soccer team totaled 40 shots on target and nine goals as the Warriors blanked Mount Mary 9-0 Sunday afternoon at Blue Angels Field.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 9, Mount Mary 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-6-0), Mount Mary (1-9-0)
- Location: Blue Angels Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- WLC opened the scoring in the sixth minute as sophomore Osiris Leon (Elgin, Ill.) scored her first goal of the season. Junior Erika Yanke (Torrance, Calif.) made the game 2-0 in the 29th minute as she scored off a pass from junior Kendra Schumacher (Little Chute, Wis.).
- Just before the end of the first half, the Warriors found the net two more times. Junior Gabriella Metten (Greenville, Wis.) scored in the 42nd minute off a feed from sophomore Kayla Mitchell (Green Bay, Wis.), before Mitchell herself scored about a minute later to make the score 4-0 at halftime.
- Early in the second half, sophomore Miriam Carreno (San Antonio, Texas) scored twice, assisted by junior Hannah Burden (Mount Pleasant, Wis.) on both goals, for her second and third goals of the season.
- Freshman Katelyn Bonilla (Fond du Lac, Wis.) added a pair of goals for the Warriors in the 63rd and 66th minutes, to push the lead to 8-0. Yanke assisted on the first goal, while sophomore Gabi Tomlin (Lannon, Wis.) was credited with an assist on the second.
- Tomlin would score a goal of her own late in the second half for her first of the season as the Warriors extended the final margin to 9-0.
- The Warriors launched 49 shots, tied for the fourth-highest mark in program history, with 40 of those ending on goal.
- Bonilla and Carreno paced the team with eight shots, while Schumacher added seven shots of her own.
- Freshman Kayla Pagel (Kenosha, Wis.) earned the shutout for WLC and her second win of the season, as the Warriors defense stifled the Blue Angels attack and didn't allow a shot.
- WLC won its 11th straight game over MMU in the all-time series.
- Hannah Rose stopped 30 of the 39 shots she faced, a season-high for the goalkeeper.
- WLC returns home Wednesday when it hosts Lakeland (3-6-1, 2-2-0 NACC) in a 7:00 p.m. NACC matchup. The Muskies defeated Alverno Sunday afternoon, 4-2. Live video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.