Posted: Aug 30, 2019
PELLA, Iowa (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's soccer team dropped its 2019 season opener Friday afternoon, falling 5-0 in a non-conference matchup against Nebraska Wesleyan at the Kuyper Athletic Complex.
- Final Score: Nebraska Wesleyan 5, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1-0), Nebraska Wesleyan (1-0-0)
- Location: Kuyper Athletic Complex, Pella, Iowa
- The Prairie Wolves struck early, scoring seven minutes into the first half as Suzie McDonald scored off of a corner kick from Jenna DeJonge.
- Less than a minute later, Nebraska Wesleyan made it 2-0 as Annie Platt found the back of the net.
- Oliva Munroe scored the third NWU goal at the midway point of the first half, as a feed from Isabel Dragoo beat freshman keeper Winter Baumann (Pleasanton, Texas).
- The Prairie Wolves added two goals in the second half, as Megan Cooper found Kaitlyn Sullivan in the 70th minute make it 4-0, before Platt notched her second goal with 10 minutes remaining to push the margin to five.
- Wisconsin Lutheran placed two of its five shots on goal, both from freshman Katie Wasiak (Muskego, Wis.). Junior Kendra Schumacher (Little Chute, Wis.) added the other two shots for the Warriors.
- Baumann made 10 saves in her first match for WLC, including six in the second half.
- Today's meeting marked just the third all-time between the Warriors and Prairie Wolves.
- The Prairie Wolves attempted 32 shots, including 15 on frame. Annie Platt and Oliva Munroe paced the team with six and five shots, respectively.
- Liz Wolf and Leslie Borges combined for the shutout, with Wolf stopping both shots on goal.
- Wisconsin Lutheran stays in Iowa for a non-conference matchup against host Central Saturday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. It will be the first game of the season for the Dutch. Live stats and video will be available for the contest at WLCSports.com.