MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's soccer team opened its 2018 season with a convincing 4-1 triumph over the visiting St. Norbert Green Knights Friday night at Warriors Soccer Field. The Warriors exploded for three goals in the first half and used a stout defensive effort in the second half to preserve the victory.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 4, St. Norbert 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-0-0), St. Norbert (0-1-0)
- Location: Warriors Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The visitors opened the scoring in the 10th minute when Madalyn Sanderfoot collected a cross in the box and beat the keeper, giving SNC a 1-0 lead.
- The Warriors answered right back in the 15th minute when Ella Metten (Greenville, Wis.) beat the Green Knights goalie to the left side of the net, tying the affair at 1-1.
- Miriam Carreno (San Antonio, Texas) tallied her first career goal in the 25th minute when she attempted a shot that was saved, then collected her own rebound and beat the goalie to give the Warriors a 2-1 advantage.
- Mady Hirsch (Jefferson, Wis.) added to the Warriors' lead in the 36th minute when she took a pass from Helen Joyce (De Pere, Wis.) and found the back of the net, pushing the WLC lead to 3-1.
- Joyce added to the Warriors lead in the 68th minute when she received a pass from Kendra Schumacher (Little Chute, Wis.) in the box and beat the goalie to the left side of the net, putting WLC ahead 4-1.
- The Warriors defense stifled the visitors in the remaining 20 minutes of the contest to preserve the 4-1 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Four different Warriors tallied goals in the contest, while Schumacher and Joyce dished out assists.
- Joyce led WLC with three shots, while three different Warriors put two shots on frame.
- Rosanna Mazzulla (Melrose Park, Ill.) earned the win in goal, making two saves in the first half.
- Abby Vavra (Mukwonago, Wis.) played the second half in net, making six saves.
- Wisconsin Lutheran won for the first time ever over St. Norbert in their seventh meeting all-time.
FOR THE FOES
- Sanderfoot scored the lone goal of the contest for the visiting Green Knights.
- SNC out-shot the Warriors 20-10 while tallying nine corner kicks.
- Ally Magiera took the loss in goal while making four saves.
- The Warriors continue their season-opening six-game homestand Sunday when they host Minnesota-Morris (0-0-0) at 1:00 p.m. The contest marks the first of the season for the Cougars. Live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.