MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's soccer team received scoring contributions from four different players en route to a 4-1 win over the Lakeland Muskies in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference opener for both teams Wednesday night at Warriors Soccer Field,
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 4, Lakeland 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-6-0, 1-0-0 NACC), Lakeland (3-4-0, 0-1-0 NACC)
- Location: Warriors Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors struck first when Kendra Schumacher (Little Chute, Wis.) took a through ball from Helen Joyce (De Pere, Wis.) and beat the keeper in the 11' minute.
- Gabriella Metten (Greenville, Wis.) doubled the lead in the 20' minute when she gathered a cross that was deflected by the Lakeland keeper and found the back of the net.
- Kali Boldebuck (Eagle River, Wis.) came on in the 27' and added a third goal for WLC in the 38' when she had a shot partially saved by the Muskies' keeper, but the ball bounced off her hand into the net.
- Lakeland got on the board when Hope Cerney converted a penalty kick following a hand ball in the 56' minute.
- Calli Tomko (Lisle, Ill.) boosted the Warriors lead back to three when she scored off of a long free kick to the high far post in the 67' to halt any threat of a comeback.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Warriors dominated the shot category, putting up 24 shots compared to Lakeland's 15.
- Nine of the 24 shots for Wisconsin Lutheran were on goal.
- Hailey Krause (Wauwatosa, Wis.) registered her second win of the season in goal, making five saves.
- Schumacher led WLC with five shots, with Tomko and Joyce registering four each.
- Three of the Warriors' four goals came from freshmen, and six of the teams' 16 goals this season have come from freshmen.
- The win marks the first time Wisconsin Lutheran has opened NACC play with a victory since 2010.
- WLC regained the lead in the all-time series with tonight's win, 16-15-1.
FOR THE FOES
- Cerney paced the Muskies with six shots, while Brianna Johnson added five, including two on goal.
- Grace Daehling collected five saves in net.
- The Warriors continue NACC play when they host Alverno (1-6-0, 0-1-0 NACC) Saturday afternoon. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. at Warriors Soccer Field. The Inferno dropped their sixth straight match today, falling 10-1 to unbeaten Dominican. Live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.