MANKATO, Minn. (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's soccer team earned its first victory of the 2017 season behind five goals and a hat-trick from Helen Joyce (De Pere, Wis.) Saturday afternoon at the Bethany Lutheran Soccer Field. The Warriors defeated the host Vikings, 5-2.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Bethany Lutheran 2
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-2-0), Bethany Lutheran (0-3-0)
- Location: BLC Soccer Field, Mankato, Minn.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kendra Schumacher (Little Chute, Wis.) netted her first career goal in the 16' on a pass from Gabriella Metten (Greenville, Wis.).
- In the 30', Helen Joyce netted her first goal to give the Warriors the 2-0 lead.
- The Vikings answered just four minutes later on a goal from Nicole Moldstad, cutting the Warriors' lead in half.
- In the second half, Dempsey O'Brien (West Allis, Wis.) found Katriana Pearce (Canton, Mich.) who netted the Warriors' third score of the match.
- Joyce tallied her second score of the game in the 63' to give WLC the 4-1 lead.
- In the 76', Elena De Vera scratched across another goal for the Vikings on an assist by Moldstad.
- Joyce collected her third goal of the afternoon for the Warriors in the 84' minute, giving WLC the 5-2 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Warriors registered 17 total shots, 14 of which were on goal.
- Schumacher led Wisconsin Lutheran with seven shots on goal.
- Joyce tallied three goals for the Warriors, while Pearce and Schumacher added one each.
- Hailey Krause (Wauwatosa, Wis.) earned her first victory on the year in goal, tallying 10 saves.
- WLC earned four corner kicks, while the Vikings had two.
- The Warriors remained unbeaten against the Vikings in their last four meetings dating back to 2012.
FOR THE FOES
- De Vera led the way for the Vikings with five shots on goal.
- BLC narrowly out-shot WLC, 18-17.
- Joining De Vera in the scoring column was Moldstad for Bethany Lutheran.
- The Warriors continue their trip to Minnesota Sunday afternoon against Minnesota-Morris (1-2-0) at 2:00 p.m. in a non-conference matchup in Mankato. The Cougars are coming off a 7-1 loss Saturday against Hamline.