MILWAUKEE – A late first-half goal from Helen Joyce (De Pere, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) helped the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's soccer team to a double-overtime, 1-1 draw against visiting Bethany Lutheran on Friday evening in the Warriors' home opener at Warrior Soccer Field.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 1, Bethany Lutheran 1 (2 OT)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1-1), Bethany Lutheran (1-0-1)
- Location: Warrior Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 87
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Vikings struck first in the 31st minute with a goal by Ali Mix off a cross from Taylor Friehl.
- WLC answered back in the 41st minute when Joyce found the back of the net unassisted from just outside the box for her first goal of the season.
- The contest remained scoreless the rest of regulation and two overtime periods as the two sides settled for a 1-1 tie.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Rachel Sebald (Menomonee Falls, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) came up with six saves on the night, including five down the stretch in the second half.
- Joyce led all players with eight shots, including five on goal.
- Olivia Scheiber (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) contribute four shots.
- Bethany Lutheran goalkeeper Averi Cash saved seven shots in the match.
- Mix and Nicole Moldstad each had four shots to lead the Vikings.
- In a well-contested contest, WLC held a slim advantage in shots, 17-16.
- The Warriors and Vikings have played to a tie in three of their six all-time meetings.
- Wisconsin Lutheran travels to St. Norbert (0-1-0) for a non-conference matchup Sunday at 12 p.m. The Green Knights were defeated in their season opener 1-0 by fellow NACC member MSOE last Tuesday in De Pere. Live video of the contest will be available at wlcsports.com.