MILWAUKEE – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's soccer team suffered an 8-0 loss to nine-time Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference champion Aurora in its final home match of the season Saturday afternoon at Warrior Soccer Field.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors slipped to 5-12-2 overall and 2-7-0 in the NACC. Meanwhile, Aurora improved to an impressive 14-3-1 overall with an unblemished 10-0-0 conference mark.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Aurora was held scoreless until the 13th minute when Nicci Bermudes riffled a shot into the lower right side of the net on a breakaway assisted by Alexis Bejarano.
- In the 28th minute, Bejarano again assisted Bermudes on a cross from the right side of the box.
- Just two minutes later, Hunter Coppes found the back of the net after she capitalized off a turnover.
- Brittany Roydhouse made it 4-0 in the 37th minute off only the second unassisted goal of the day for AU.
- Later in the 43rd minute, Lisa Bajkowski drilled a free kick from just outside the 18' straight into the top left corner of the goal.
- Bermudes did not lift her foot off the gas, completing the hat trick in the 44th, this time from a high cross from Shannon Burke.
- Alicia Rotolo fired a shot which was deflected by the goalie, directly to Burke who finished the job in the final minute of the first half.
- After a second half with little action, Kaitlin Im Hof assisted Rotolo with a center pass that was executed in the 75th.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors were outshot 19-4 by the Spartans.
- Olivia Scheiber (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) had two of the Warriors' four shots.
- Rachel Sebald (Menomonee Falls, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) saved five of AU's 13 shots on goal.
- Aurora keepers Rachael Warnock and Caitlin DeRuiter shared the shutout as neither had to make a save in the match.
- Bermudes led the Spartans with four shots, all on goal. She is now second in NCAA Division III with 30 goals this season.
- WLC honored its five seniors Tori Albrecht (Milwaukee, Wis./Pius XI), Katie Bentz (Cambridge, Minn./St. Croix Lutheran), Heather Nielsen (Wildwood, Fla./Villages), Mandy Schnell (Milwaukee, Wis./Greendale Martin Luther), and Emily Sowinski (Waukesha, Wis./West) during a special halftime ceremony.
- The Warriors travel to play conference rival Concordia Wisconsin (12-5-0, 7-2-0 NACC) in their final game of the season Tuesday at Fitting Field in Mequon. Live audio and stats of the 3:30 p.m. contest will be available at wlcsports.com.