MILWAUKEE - Heather Nielsen (Wildwood, Fla./Villages) scored the golden goal in the 102nd minute in double overtime to send the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's soccer team to a thrilling 2-1 victory over Alverno for its first NACC win Saturday afternoon at Alverno Field.
WHERE THEY STAND
- With the victory, the Warriors improved to 4-9-2 overall and 1-4-0 in NACC play. Alverno fell to 1-10-1 overall and 0-5-0 in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Inferno struck first in the seventh minute on a deflection that was put home by Becca Schnell off of an assist from Erica Isaacson.
- Just six minutes later, Abby Himm (Grand Blanc, Mich./Homeschooled) scored her fourth goal of the season off of a ball played from the left side by Katie Bentz (Cambridge, Minn./St. Croix Lutheran) to even the score at 1-1.
- It remained 1-1 all the way until the 102nd minute in double overtime, when Nielsen scored her first goal of the season from a ball played into the box by Himm to end the match in spectacular fashion.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Alverno outshot the Warriors 9-8 overall, but WLC controlled the chances in overtime, outshooting the Inferno 4-1.
- Brooke Harty (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee) attempted a team-high three shots for the Warriors, while Brittany Carpenter also took three shots to lead the Inferno.
- Rachel Sebald (Menomonee Falls, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) recorded four saves in the contest. Jenna Reed made three stops for Alverno.
- Wisconsin Lutheran travels to Warner Park in Madison to face Edgewood (10-3-1, 5-1-0 NACC) for a conference matchup next Wednesday at 5 p.m. Live stats and video will be available on wlcsports.com.