MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team held a 38-9 lead at halftime and cruised to a 64-33 NACC victory over MSOE Saturday afternoon inside the Kern Center. Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo.) scored a career-high 19 points off the bench to lead the Warriors.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 64, MSOE 33
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (22-3, 18-2 NACC), MSOE (10-15, 8-12 NACC)
- Location: Kern Center, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis.) grabbed an offensive rebound and a put back to give the Warriors an early 9-4 lead with 5:30 left in the first quarter.
- Coreana Carson (Milwaukee, Wis.) scored six straight points for the Warriors on two three-pointers to extend the lead to double digits, 15-4, with just over two minutes left to play.
- Led by Carson's nine points, the Warriors carried a 17-6 lead into the second quarter.
- Elrod converted on a layup to give the Warriors a 27-9 cushion with 5:12 to go in the opening half.
- With just 0:21 seconds left before halftime, Kelly Tramburg (Fall River, Wis.) grabbed an offensive board and hit a three-point field goal to give WLC the 38-9 lead heading into the half.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot 48.4 percent from the floor in the opening half and scored 12 points off turnovers.
- Elrod led all scorers with 13 points at the break, followed by Carson with 11.
- After five minutes of trading baskets, Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis.) hit two three-point baskets in a row to push WLC's lead to 51-17 with 5:09 to play in the third period.
- The Raiders snapped an 8:03 scoring drought with 8:41 left in the fourth quarter as the Warriors had extended their lead to 58-19.
- Elrod made two free throws with 5:41 to go in the game to give the Warriors a 41-point lead, 64-23, tying their largest of the game.
- MSOE closed out the contest on a 10-0 run, but WLC's lead was too large for the Raiders.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Elrod led the Warriors off the bench with a career and game-high 19 points along with four rebounds.
- Knueppel finished with 13 points, while Dowden added a double-double of 12 points and 10 rebounds.
- Carson scored 11 points and dished out six assists.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot 44.2 percent (23-of-52) from the floor in the contest.
- The Warriors converted 15 turnovers into 19 points and held a 24-8 advantage on points in the paint.
- WLC held an opponent under 40 points for the seventh time this season.
- Wisconsin Lutheran had fewer than 10 turnovers for the fifth time this season.
- The Warriors are allowing just 47.5 points per game, including 45.6 points in NACC play.
FOR THE FOES
- Shaylan Reardon scored nine points to lead the Raiders.
- Kiana Jeremiah added eight points while Samantha Brooker pulled down a team-high 10 rebounds, including five on the offensive end.
- MSOE was held to just 18.5 percent (10-of-54) shooting from the floor and 4-of-25 from behind the arc.
- The top-seeded Warriors host the 2018 NACC Tournament Final Four beginning Saturday, February 24. WLC will play in the second semifinal game at 3:30 p.m. against the lowest remaining seed. Live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.