PLYMOUTH, Wis. (WLCSports.com) – The 25th-ranked Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team was held to a season-low 32.8 percent shooting as host Lakeland handed the Warriors a 58-49 defeat Tuesday night inside Woltzen Gymnasium. WLC suffered its first conference loss of the season and saw its 17-game winning streak come to an end.
- Final Score: Lakeland 58, Wisconsin Lutheran 49
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (17-2, 14-1 NACC), Lakeland (13-7, 10-5 NACC)
- Location: Woltzen Gymnasium, Plymouth, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first quarter featured a slow start for both teams, with Lakeland holding a slim 4-2 lead at the 5:30 mark.
- Three straight buckets from the Warriors gave them an 8-4 lead, and after the Muskies knotted the score at 8-8, Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis.) nailed a three on WLC's final possession of the quarter for an 11-8 lead.
- An 8-0 run by Wisconsin Lutheran early in the second quarter gave them a six-point lead at 19-13, the visitors largest of the game.
- The Warriors were held scoreless for the last 6:16 of the second quarter, as the hosts went on an 11-0 run over that time frame for a 24-19 lead over WLC at halftime.
- Wisconsin Lutheran was held to just 23.5 percent (8-for-34) shooting in the opening half, while Lakeland went for 52.6 percent (10-for-19).
- Lakeland used a brief 5-2 scoring run early in the third quarter to open up an eight-point lead at 29-21. The Warriors fought back to trail by just one at 31-30, and knotted the score at 34-34 after a Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis.) jumper to conclude the third quarter.
- The Muskies opened the fourth quarter on a 9-2 scoring run for a 43-36 lead with 6:03 left to play.
- Wisconsin Lutheran closed to within four points at 44-40 after a Dowden jumper in the paint with 4:50 remaining in the game.
- LU responded with five straight points to open up its largest lead of the game of nine with 3:43 on the clock.
- WLC came back within five at the 2:32 mark after consecutive three-pointers from Maddie Cruz (New Berlin, Wis.) and Knueppel.
- Wisconsin Lutheran went 1-for-6 from beyond the arc and the Muskies were 7-for-8 from the free-throw line in the final two minutes to seal the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Dowden led all scorers in the game with 21 points, while Knueppel finished with 12 on four three's.
- Kelly Tramburg (Fall River, Wis.) grabbed a team-high nine rebounds, while Dowden added seven.
- Wisconsin Lutheran attempted 29 more shots than Lakeland, finishing 21-for-64 for just 32.8 percent. WLC was also 7-for-30 from the beyond the arc. The 64 shots from the floor and 30 three-point tries were a season-high.
- The Warriors out-rebounded the Muskies 31-27 thanks to a season-high 18 boards on the offensive glass.
- WLC was held without a free-throw attempt for the first time in the NACC era.
FOR THE FOES
- Miranda Jacobson paced the Muskies with a double-double of 20 points and 10 rebounds. Rachel Stankevich scored 13 and Megan Will added 11 points off the bench.
- Lakeland shot a stellar 57.1 percent for the game, making 20 of just 35 shot attempts. LU also made 15 of 19 free throw tries, while the Warriors didn't make a trip to the charity stripe.
- The Muskies won their fifth straight game and second straight over WLC at home.
- The Warriors return to action Thursday, hosting Maranatha (6-8) at 7:00 p.m. in non-conference action inside the Recreation Complex. Live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.