MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – Behind 24 points from Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis.) and 23 from Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis.), the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team secured a 61-45 triumph over visiting NACC rival Concordia Wisconsin Saturday afternoon inside the Recreation Complex. The Warriors won their 15th straight game to remain perfect in NACC play.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 61, Concordia Wisconsin 45
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (15-1, 12-0 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (12-5, 9-3 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dowden scored the first four points of the contest, then Knueppel connected on a three-pointer from the wing to put WLC ahead 7-3 early in the first quarter.
- Knueppel buried another triple from the top of the key to push the WLC lead to eight with just under one minute to play in the opening quarter.
- The Warriors held a 16-8 lead after one quarter, but pushed their lead to 24-12 after Knueppel buried her fourth three-pointer of the game.
- Concordia Wisconsin answered with a 5-0 run to cut the Warriors lead to seven, but Tierney Woodward (Poynette, Wis.) knocked down a corner three and Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo.) collected an offensive rebound and scored the ensuing layup to push WLC's lead back to 12 with four minutes remaining in the half.
- Both teams struggled to find the bottom of the net in the final minutes of the half, with the Warriors taking a 33-24 lead into the locker room at halftime.
- The Falcons opened the second half with a quick 5-0 run to cut the WLC lead to four, but a Dowden layup brought the lead back to six with seven minutes remaining in the third quarter.
- Kelly Tramburg (Fall River, Wis.) connected on a triple from the top of the key followed by two free throws from Dowden increased the Warriors lead to 11 with just over four minutes to play in the third quarter.
- Knueppel and Tramburg converted layups in the final two minutes of the half to give WLC a 49-36 advantage heading into the final period of play.
- Dowden went on a personal 4-0 run to push WLC's lead to 15 with just over six minutes to play in the contest.
- Knueppel buried a three-pointer with 0:32 seconds remaining in the game to increase the Warriors' lead to a game-high 16 points at 61-45, which would remain the final score as the Warriors dribbled out the clock.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Dowden poured in a game-high 24 points, while Knueppel added 23 points on 6-11 three-point shooting.
- Tramburg added seven points and five rebounds, while Coreana Carson (Milwaukee, Wis.) dished out a game-high eight assists.
- Wisconsin Lutheran held a 30-28 rebounding advantage, including a 7-2 difference on the offensive glass.
- The Warriors shot 37.7 percent (20-of-53) from the field and converted 81.3 percent (13-of-16) of their attempts from charity stripe.
- WLC forced 14 CUW turnovers and converted those into 16 points. The Warriors turned the ball over a season-low five times.
FOR THE FOES
- Arianna Liddicoat scored 14 points for the Falcons, while Brianna Wagner added nine points and four rebounds.
- The visitors shot 41.0 percent (16-of-39) from the field and connected on 56.3 percent (9-of-16) of their free throw attempts.
- The Warriors next face-off against second-place Concordia Chicago Wednesday evening in River Forest, Illinois. The Cougars (14-2, 10-2 NACC) defeated the Dominican Stars 79-62 Saturday afternoon. Live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.