MEQUON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team overcame a 10-point first-half deficit by closing out the first half on a 13-0 run and never trailed from that point forward en route to a 58-49 win over NACC rival Concordia Wisconsin Tuesday night inside the R. John Buuck Field House. The win was the ninth straight for WLC, which snapped a six-game losing streak against CUW.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 58, Concordia Wisconsin 49
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (9-1, 6-0 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (9-3, 6-1 NACC)
- Location: R. John Buuck Field House, Mequon, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It was an offensive struggle for both teams in the opening quarter, as both teams combined for just 10 points with the Falcons leading the Warriors 6-4. Wisconsin Lutheran was held to a game-low 20 percent (2-for-10) shooting in the opening period, while Concordia Wisconsin went for 33.3 percent (3-for-9).
- After WLC knotted the score at 6-6 in the opening seconds of the second quarter, CUW rattled off 10 straight points for a 16-6 lead, its largest of the game.
- The Warriors then went on a 13–0 run over the final 5:32 before halftime to take a 19-16 lead at intermission. Kelly Tramburg (Fall River, Wis.) scored eight second-quarter points to lead all scorers at halftime as WLC shot 33.3 percent (5-for-15) in the period.
- The Warriors never trailed in the third quarter, extending their lead to as many as eight points in the period.
- The Falcons closed the gap to one point on three occasions, but a buzzer-beating three-pointer from Coreana Carson (Milwaukee, Wis.) gave WLC a four-point lead heading into the fourth, 37-33. Wisconsin Lutheran shot 46.7 percent (7-for-15) and made four three-pointers in the quarter.
- WLC scored the first five points of the fourth quarter and later built a game-high 13-point lead at 51-38 with 2:45 left. Concordia Wisconsin never got closer than eight points the rest of the way.
- The Warriors shot a game-high 50 percent (7-for-14) in the final frame as Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis.) netted 10 of her 15 points in the period.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Dowden and Tramburg led the Warriors with a game-high 15 points each, with Tramburg pulling down a game-high nine rebounds. Dowden also dished out a team-high four assists. Carson was the third Warrior to reach double-figures with 12 points.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot 38.9 percent (21-for-54) for the game, winning a game for the second time this season when shooting under 40 percent.
- WLC out-rebounded CUW, 30-28, including a 12-6 margin on the offensive glass.
- The Warriors held an opponent below 50 points for the fifth time this season.
- Wisconsin Lutheran improved to 3-0 on the road and won its first game over CUW since January 22, 2015.
FOR THE FOES
- Clara Chambers had 12 points and Brianna Wagner added 10 points and eight rebounds for the Falcons.
- Concordia Wisconsin shot 42.2 percent (19-for-45) for the game and 63.6 percent (7-for-11) from three-point range.
- The Warriors return to the Recreation Complex Saturday afternoon, hosting Edgewood (6-6, 4-3 NACC) in a 4:15 p.m. tip-off. WLC has won 12 straight games over EC. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.