MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis.) scored a game-high 22 points to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team to a 70-48 victory in its NACC opener against Rockford Saturday afternoon inside the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 70, Rockford 48
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-1, 1-0 NACC), Rockford (0-2, 0-1 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams struggled to score early as the Warriors held a 3-0 lead at the 6:17 mark from a three-pointer from Kelly Tramburg (Fall River, Wis.).
- A pair of free throws from Nikita Conroy (West Allis, Wis.) pushed the hosts' lead to double digits at 17-7, which would remain the score at the end of the first quarter.
- WLC held RU to just 20 percent shooting from the floor in the opening quarter and forced five turnovers.
- The Warriors opened the second quarter with five consecutive made free throws to push the lead to 22-7.
- Wisconsin Lutheran out-scored the Regents 21-10 in the second quarter to open up a 38-17 lead going into the locker room.
- WLC shot 38.7 percent in the first half, led by Dowden's 11 points.
- Rockford cut the lead to 16 with 3:47 left in the third quarter.
- Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis.) scored the final four points for WLC to give the Green and White a 50-28 lead going into the fourth quarter.
- A mid-range jumper from Tierney Woodward (Poynette, Wis.) gave the Warriors their biggest lead of the game at 27 points, 59-32, with 6:40 remaining in the game.
- The two teams played even in the final quarter, 20-20, as the Warriors closed out the conference-opening victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden recorded a game-high 22 points with seven rebounds and three blocks to pace the Warriors.
- Coreana Carson (Milwaukee, Wis.) added nine points and eight rebounds for the Warriors' backcourt.
- Knueppel added eight points, five rebounds, and two steals.
- The Warriors shot 36.7 percent from the field and held an advantage in free throws converted, 24-10, over the Regents.
- Wisconsin Lutheran dominated inside, out-scoring Rockford 36-18 in the paint and out-rebounding RU 43-38.
- WLC forced 18 turnovers, scoring 22 points off of them.
- The Warriors saw all 13 dressed players see action in the contest, including 11 different players scoring.
- WLC pushed its series lead over Rockford to 18-1 all-time.
FOR THE FOES
- Linzy Keller led the Regents with 10 points.
- Neve Yerk added eight points and seven rebounds off the bench.
- Rockford shot 31.5 percent from the field and saw 23 points come from its bench.
- RU forced 12 turnovers in the contest.
- The Warriors continue their six-game homestand when they host Elmhurst (1-2) in non-conference action Wednesday inside the Recreation Complex. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. The Blue Jays are coming off a 67-59 defeat against Wartburg and play Illinois College Sunday at the North Park Tournament. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.