MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team suffered a 64-53 setback to No. 15 DePauw in its 2017-2018 season opener Friday night inside the Recreation Complex. The teams played through seven ties and seven lead changes early before the Tigers opened up a game-high 15-point lead early in the fourth quarter.
- Final Score: DePauw 64, Wisconsin Lutheran 53
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1), DePauw (1-0)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams traded baskets early in the first quarter, with DePauw holding a 7-4 lead until Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis.) nailed a three-pointer as the shot clock expired to tie the game at 7-7.
- The Tigers took a 17-11 lead into the first quarter break.
- WLC came storming back in the early stages of the second quarter, after a three-point play by Nikita Conroy (West Allis, Wis.) and a triple from Coreana Carson (Milwaukee, Wis.) to trail by just one point.
- The Warriors took a 22-21 lead on the next possession after Maddie Cruz (New Berlin, Wis.) collected an offensive rebound and converted a layup.
- DePauw scored four straight in the final minute of the half to take a 36-30 lead into the locker room.
- The Tigers pushed their lead to 10 points early in the second half, and held a 48-34 advantage at the under-five minute media timeout.
- Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis.) scored five straight points to cut the DePauw lead to nine with three minutes to play in the third quarter.
- At the end of the third period, DePauw held a 54-43 advantage.
- After forcing a turnover, Carson converted a layup off of an inbounds play to bring WLC within eight points with five minutes to play.
- Dowden and Carson scored in the final minute of play, but it was not enough as the Tigers claimed a 64-53 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden paced WLC with 20 points while collecting five rebounds.
- Knueppel added 14 points, with four rebounds and three assists.
- Carson scored eight points and collected eight rebounds while dishing out four assists.
- The Warriors shot 34.9 percent from the field and connected on five three-pointers in the contest.
- Wisconsin Lutheran converted 66.7 percent of their attempts (4-for-6) from the charity stripe and forced 12 turnovers.
- WLC pulled down 17 offensive rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Claire Keefe led the way with 20 points for the Tigers, while Emily Budde added 17 points.
- Kylie Morris pulled down a team-high 12 rebounds, with eight coming on the offensive glass.
- Maya Howard scored 11 points while adding seven rebounds and three assists.
- DePauw shot 46.2 percent from the field for the contest, collecting 16 offensive rebounds.
- The Warriors face a quick turnaround as they return to action Saturday, facing off against No. 10 Washington (Mo.) at 3:00 p.m. The Bears defeated Luther in game one of the Paul F. Knueppel Classic Friday by a final score of 68-45. Live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.