MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team was held to just 27.7 percent shooting as Concordia Wisconsin handed the Warriors their first home conference loss, 57-41, on Tuesday night in a battle for sole possession of first place in the NACC at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 57, Wisconsin Lutheran 41
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (14-7, 14-3 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (18-4, 15-2 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 313
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors held a slim 4-3 lead at the 5:45 mark of the first quarter before Concordia Wisconsin went on a 14-1 run. The Falcons scored the final four points of the opening quarter to open up a 21-7 lead after one period.
- WLC was held to just 1-for-8 shooting in the quarter and forced into eight turnovers. CUW, meanwhile, shot 46.7 percent (7-for-15) and did not commit a turnover.
- The two teams combined for their lowest-scoring quarter of the game in the second. The Warriors cut their deficit down to 10 points at 23-13, but two separate 5-0 scoring spurts from the Falcons gave them a 33-15 halftime lead.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot 20.0 percent (2-for-10) in the second period, while Concordia Wisconsin was slightly better at 28.6 percent (4-for-14).
- CUW scored 14 straight points to begin the third quarter and opened up its largest lead of the game over the Warriors. WLC closed the quarter on a 13-3 run and trailed by 22 heading into the final stanza.
- The Warriors out-shot the Falcons 35.7 percent (5-for-14) to 30.8 percent (4-for-13) in the period.
- Both teams shot an identical 33.3 percent in the fourth quarter, but the Warriors out-scored the Falcons 13-7, including the final six points of the game to bring their deficit down to 16 points at the final buzzer.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) was the only Warrior to reach double-figures, scoring 13 points and grabbing a team-high seven rebounds. Lexi Reinke (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) came off the bench to contribute seven rebounds, four assists, three points, two steals, and one block.
- Wisconsin Lutheran was held to its second-lowest shooting percentage (27.7) of the season, while Concordia Wisconsin finished at 35.3 percent.
- The Falcons out-scored the Warriors 29-12 in points off turnovers and 11-4 in second-chance points, despite grabbing just one more offensive rebound than the Warriors.
- Baylee Barker scored a game-high 16 points to lead the Falcons. Brianna Wagner added 12 points and Audrey Scharmer pulled down 10 rebounds.
- The Warriors look to bounce back from their rare two-game losing streak when they travel to River Forest, Ill., on Saturday to take on Concordia Chicago (13-9, 12-5 NACC) at 2:00 p.m. The Cougars were handed a 68-58 loss to Benedictine on Tuesday night. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.