MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) tied a season-high with 24 points for the second straight game to lead four players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team won its sixth straight game by defeating Marian 90-45 on Wednesday night inside the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 90, Marian 45
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (14-5, 14-1 NACC), Marian (3-17, 2-13 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 226
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors opened the game on a 10-2 run and finished the opening quarter with a commanding 23-8 lead over the Sabres. Wisconsin Lutheran shot 62.5 percent in the first quarter and assisted on nine of its 10 made field goals.
- WLC scored the first 12 points of the second period and later used a 14-0 run to carry a 56-14 lead into halftime. The Warriors held the Sabres to just six points in the quarter while shooting an identical 62.5 percent. Knueppel scored 16 of Wisconsin Lutheran's 33 second-quarter points to lead the charge.
- Marian opened the third quarter with an 8-1 scoring run and out-scored Wisconsin Lutheran 18-13 in the period. WLC led by 37 points at 69-32 after three quarters. The Warriors shot 37.5 percent and were 0-for-6 from beyond the arc in the period.
- The Warriors rested their starters throughout the final frame and received 21 points from their bench. Tierney Woodward (Poynette, Wis./Poynette) scored nine points in the fourth quarter on a trio of three-pointers to pace WLC, which led by a game-high 45 points twice in the final stanza.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Knueppel tied a season-high with 24 points for the second straight game. She also added seven rebounds, six assists, and five blocks. Woodward and Alyssa Shipley (Hartford, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) finished with a season-high 15 and 10 points off the bench, respectively. Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo./Conifer) added 14 points and tied a game-high with eight rebounds.
- The Warriors shot 52.4 percent (33-for-63) for the game, their second-best shooting performance of the season. WLC's 10 three-pointers also tied for its second-most makes from downtown this season.
- Wisconsin Lutheran tied a single-game record with 15 blocked shots and set a season-high with 26 assists on 33 made field goals.
- Lexi Reinke (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) dished out five assists, while Coreana Carson (Milwaukee, Wis./HOPE Christian) and Kelly Tramburg (Fall River, Wis./Fall River) tallied four apiece.
- The Green and White dominated bench points (43-2) and points in the paint (38-22).
- WLC's 90 points were a season-high and also its most since scoring 93 on Jan. 20, 2015 vs. Lakeland. Thirteen players reached the scoring column in the game for the Warriors.
- Nicole Paulus poured in 21 points to pace the Sabres, while Molly Magnus added 10.
- The Warriors travel to Lisle, Ill., on Saturday for a 2:00 p.m. contest with Benedictine (16-4, 12-3 NACC). The Eagles defeated Rockford 65-56 on Wednesday. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.