MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) scored a team-high 18 points and Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo./Conifer) recorded her third double-double of the season to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team to a 64-42 win over Edgewood on Tuesday night at the Recreation Complex. Alyssa Shipley (Hartford, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) also netted a season-high 10 points off the bench.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 64, Edgewood 42
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (11-5, 11-1 NACC), Edgewood (0-18, 0-13 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 157
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors scored the game's first six points and then rattled off another 14 straight in the opening quarter for a commanding 20-2 lead. WLC limited the Eagles to just 18.2 percent shooting on its way to a 22-6 lead after the first quarter.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot a game-high 63.6 percent (7-for-11) in the second quarter and closed the opening half on an 8-0 run for a 36-12 halftime lead. WLC forced Edgewood into a game-high seven turnovers in the second period.
- The Green and White continued their hot shooting in the third quarter, shooting 61.5 percent (8-for-13) while holding the Eagles to single digits for the third straight period. A 10-2 Warriors run early in the quarter fueled them to a 20-point third period.
- The Warriors received some key minutes from their bench in the fourth quarter, as 10 different players logged minutes in the final period. WLC led by a game-high 38 points just 0:11 seconds into the fourth quarter, but the Eagles out-scored WLC 22-8 in the final frame, shooting an even 50.0 percent (9-for-18) in the final 10 minutes.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden, Elrod, and Shipley were the three Warriors to reach double-figures in the game. Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) scored eight points and dished out six assists, while Maddie Cruz (New Berlin, Wis./Waukesha West) added six points and four rebounds.
- The Warriors shot an even 50.0 percent (26-for-52) for the game and assisted on 22 of their 26 made field goals. Both were their second highest totals of the season.
- WLC out-scored Edgewood 38-24 on points in the paint and 22-5 in bench points.
- Wisconsin Lutheran, which held an opponent below 50 points for the fifth time this season, won its 12th straight game over Edgewood.
- Marissa Hoyer scored a game-high 19 points to lead the Eagles, who were held to 32.0 percent (16-for-50) shooting for the game.
- The Warriors continue their three-game week on Thursday with a road contest at Alverno (8-9, 8-4 NACC). Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. The Inferno won their fourth straight game on Tuesday, defeating Aurora, 68-37. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.