HONOLULU, Hawaii (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team was held to just 21.7 percent shooting in the first half as the Warriors suffered a 61-51 defeat to Redlands on Monday afternoon in the Hoops in Hawaii Holiday Classic at Moanalua High School.
- Final Score: Redlands 61, Wisconsin Lutheran 51
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (5-3), Redlands (3-5)
- Location: Moanalua High School, Honolulu, Hawaii | Attendance: 75
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors came out of the gates slow in the first quarter, making just two of 15 field goal attempts. WLC trailed 8-0 before Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) cracked the scoring column for the Warriors with a three-pointer. Redlands, which shot 58.3 percent in the first period, held a 17-7 lead over the Warriors after the first quarter.
- Wisconsin Lutheran came as close as five points in the second quarter, but could get no closer as the Bulldogs closed the first half on a 6-0 run to take a 29-17 lead into halftime over the Warriors. WLC out-shot UR in the quarter, 37.5 percent to 29.4 percent.
- WLC again came within nine points early in the third quarter, but another 10-0 run from the Bulldogs gave them a game-high 21-point lead near the end of the third quarter. The Warriors trailed by 17 points, 47-30, after three quarters.
- The Warriors put together a strong fourth quarter, out-scoring the Bulldogs 21-14 and cut their deficit down to just eight points with 2:11 remaining in the game. Unfortunately time was not their side as Redlands closed the contest with a 10-point victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden led all scorers in the game with 21 points. Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) was the second Warrior to reach double-digits with 12 points.
- The Warriors shot 35.7 percent (20-for-56) for the game, including a season-low 10.5 percent (2-for-19) from three-point range. WLC also struggled from the charity stripe, shooting a season-low 56.3 percent (9-for-16).
- The Bulldogs out-rebounded the Warriors 44-29 and out-scored WLC's bench, 30-7.
- Reyna Ta'amu scored 14 points off the bench to lead the Bulldogs, who shot 41.1 percent (23-for-56) for the game. Jade Cheldelin added a double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds.
- The Warriors are back in action tomorrow night at 11:00 p.m. CST when they take on Chapman (2-5) in their final game of the Hoops in Hawaii Holiday Classic. The Panthers fell to North Central (Ill.), 93-84, on Monday. A link to live audio will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.