FOND DU LAC, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team cruised to an 85-38 Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference win over Marian on Wednesday night in its first road game of the season at Sadoff Gymnasium.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 85, Marian 38
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (4-2, 4-0 NACC), Marian (1-5, 0-3 NACC)
- Location: Sadoff Gymnasium, Fond du Lac, Wis. | Attendance: 110
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors sprinted out to a 13-0 lead in the first quarter and led 19-2 before Marian scored its second and final field goal of the quarter at the 3:45 mark. WLC held a commanding 25-4 lead after the opening stanza.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot an even 50 percent (10-for-20) in the first quarter, while limiting Marian to just 12.5 percent (2-for-16).
- The Sabres were held without a field goal for the first 6:34 of the second quarter, and similar to the first quarter, made just two field goals in the period. WLC pushed its lead to 40 points at 47-7 before Marian closed the half with a three-pointer.
- The Warriors shot 55.6 percent (10-for-18) in the second quarter as Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) scored 13 points in the frame. Marian was held to just 13.3 percent (2-for-15) shooting.
- Both teams picked up the scoring in the third quarter, as WLC out-scored MU 28-19. The Warriors extended their lead to a game-high 51 points with 1:25 left in the third. The green and white shot 64.3 percent (9-for-14) in the period.
- WLC scored just 10 points in the fourth and final quarter, but its lead never dropped below 41 points en route to its convincing fourth straight victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden finished with a game-high 26 points on 10-for-14 shooting in just 22 minutes of action. Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo./Conifer) added 16 points on 7-of-8 shooting and seven rebounds.
- Maddie Cruz (New Berlin, Wis./Waukesha West) dished out six assists and Emalie Hahn (New Berlin, Wis./Eisenhower) grabbed eight rebounds in eight minutes of action.
- Thirteen Warriors reached the scoring column on the night, as WLC out-scored Marian's bench 22-5.
- Wisconsin Lutheran also out-scored Marian 18-2 in points off turnovers and 36-9 on points in the paint.
- The Warriors' 85 points scored are the most since the third game of last season when they netted 86 vs. Calvin.
- Carley Wilson scored 11 points and had nine rebounds for the Sabres.
- The Warriors have yet to drop a game to the Sabres since the two teams began NACC play in 2006-2007, extending their series streak to 17 games.
- Wisconsin Lutheran returns to the Recreation Complex on Saturday for its sixth home game when it hosts Concordia Chicago (3-2, 2-2 NACC) at 2:00 p.m. The Cougars are coming off of an 84-62 win at Edgewood last Saturday. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.