MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Sophomore Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) posted career highs of 30 points and 13 rebounds to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team to a 72-54 NACC win over Lakeland on Tuesday night at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 72, Lakeland 54
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-2, 2-0 NACC), Lakeland (2-4, 1-1 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 156
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A huge 21-2 first-quarter run by the Warriors erased an early three-point deficit and gave the hosts a 13-point lead after the first quarter. The Warriors shot a blistering 66.7 percent (10-for-15) in the opening period, while holding the Muskies to a chilly 18.8 percent (3-for-16).
- WLC extended its lead to over 20 points in the second quarter, as it netted the first seven points of the quarter. Wisconsin Lutheran carried a commanding 44-24 lead into halftime after shooting a solid 46.7 percent (7-for-15) over the second period.
- The Warriors never saw their lead drop below 18 points in the third quarter, despite shooting 36.4 percent (4-for-11) in the frame.
- In the final quarter, the Muskies got no closer than 17 points as the Warriors extended their lead to a game-high 23 points early on in the period. LU out-shot WLC for the first time in the game, posting a 60 percent (6-for-10) field goal performance in the final stanza.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden, who made 12 field goals on 21 attempts, was joined in double-figures by junior Caitlin Knueppel's (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) 20 points.
- The Warriors shot 52.0 percent (26-for-52) for the game, while the Muskies finished at 30.9 percent (17-for-55).
- WLC out-scored LU 16-5 in second-chance points, despite being edged on the offensive glass, 13-11. The Warriors out-rebounded the Muskies, 38-31.
- Wisconsin Lutheran posted season highs in field goals made (26), field goal percentage (50.0), three-pointers made (8), and assists (17).
- Bailey Grayvold led the Muskies with 11 points and Maddy Doll added 10 points and eight rebounds.
- The Warriors conclude their season-opening, five-game homestand on Saturday when they host Rockford (2-2, 0-0 NACC) at 2:00 p.m. The Regents dropped a non-conference game to Beloit, 74-64, on Tuesday night. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.