MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) posted career highs of 29 points and 12 rebounds, but the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team came up just short against 12th-ranked UW-River Falls 66-61 on Friday night in the season opener for the Warriors at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: No. 12 UW-River Falls 66, Wisconsin Lutheran 61
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (0-1), UW-River Falls (2-0)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 272
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons sprinted out to an 11-4 lead over the Warriors in the first quarter, only to see the hosts rattle off a 13-2 run for a 17-13 lead and hold a two-point lead after the first period. WLC held a slim lead despite shooting just 21.1 percent from the floor.
- A 14-0 run by River Falls early in the second quarter gave them their first double-digit lead of the game. The Warriors trimmed that deficit down to three points before trailing by five at the halftime break.
- Both teams traded buckets in the third quarter, as River Falls led by no more than seven points and Wisconsin Lutheran came as close as three.
- The Falcons built a game-high 11-point lead early in the fourth quarter, but an 11-0 Warriors run tied the game at 56-56 with 3:22 left. UWRF responded with a huge three-pointer on its next possession and led by five points with 1:27 left and that deficit proved to be too much for the Warriors to overcome.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden was the only Warrior to reach double-figures in the game. Maddie Cruz (New Berlin, Wis./Waukesha West) contributed nine points off the bench.
- Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo./Conifer) added 10 rebounds as WLC out-rebounded UWRF, 42-36.
- Wisconsin Lutheran managed to stay within striking distance despite shooting just 24.6 percent (15-for-61) from the floor for the game. UW-River Falls shot 43.4 percent (23-for-53).
- The Warriors were impressive from the charity stripe in their season debut, shooting 96 percent (24-for-25). The Falcons were also an efficient 18-for-22 for 81.8 percent.
- The Falcons' Brynn Liljander led all scorers with 18 points, while Taylor Paulsrud added 13.
- Wisconsin Lutheran hosts Bethel (Minn.) (1-1) tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. in its final game of the Paul F. Knueppel Classic. The Royals fell to Carthage, 70-61, in Friday's first game of the classic. Links to live stats and video will be available at WLCSports.com.