MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin's Madelyn Landgraf scored a game-high 26 points, including the game-winning free throw with no time on the clock after being fouled on the game-tying layup, as the Falcons defeated the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team 53-52 Wednesday night at the R. John Buuck Field House in a battle for sole possession of first place in the NACC.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 53, Wisconsin Lutheran 52
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (16-6, 14-3 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (18-4, 15-2 NACC)
- Location: R. John Buuck Field House, Mequon, Wis. | Attendance: 537
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin got off to a quick 10-0 start. Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) scored the first Warriors' points at the 5:45 mark in the first period.
- The Falcons had their biggest lead of the contest at 15 points with 4:34 remaining in the first. WLC trailed at the end of the quarter, 21-8.
- In the second quarter, Wisconsin Lutheran gained some momentum early and out-scored CUW in the frame 15-5. Wynonah Filla (Osseo, Wis./Osseo-Fairchild) scored at the halftime buzzer to pull WLC within three, trailing 26-23 at the break.
- Both teams struggled from the field in the first half. Concordia Wisconsin shot 29.6 percent (8-for-27) from the field, compared to WLC's 19.2 percent (5-for-26).
- Dowden's layup and free-throw at 6:41 in the third quarter gave Wisconsin Lutheran its first lead of the contest at 32-30.
- The rest of the quarter was back-and-forth, but Marciarae' Harmon's layup at the end of the third gave the Falcons a 42-41 edge.
- The Warriors pulled out to their largest lead of the game at 48-43 with 5:52 remaining in the fourth.
- But WLC could never quite pull away for good, as CUW kept chipping away, keeping the game close. The Warriors clung to a 52-50 lead with 2:08 to play in regulation.
- Wisconsin Lutheran had a chance to extend the lead to two possessions in the final minute, but an offensive foul gave the ball back to CUW with :31 seconds remaining.
- Audrey Scharmer missed a jump shot with :05 seconds to play but the Falcons got the offensive rebound with 1.1 seconds left.
- Landgraf tied the game at 52-52 with a layup and was fouled with no time remaining. She would make the corresponding free-throw to give CUW the 53-52 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden scored a team-high 19 points and pulled down 10 rebounds in the contest. Filla added a season-high 14 points off the bench.
- Taylor Bahr (Racine, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) corralled a career-high 13 rebounds.
- WLC recovered to shoot 33.3 percent (17-for-51) from the field, while Concordia Wisconsin shot 29.1 percent on 16-for-55 shooting.
- The Warriors controlled the glass in the game, out-rebounding the Falcons 46-33. However, CUW forced 18 turnovers which it turned into 21 points.
- Concordia Wisconsin was led by Landgraf who finished with a game-high 26 points. She was the only player in double-figures for CUW.
- The Falcons have won three straight games over the Warriors.
- Wisconsin Lutheran currently has a one-game lead over MSOE for the second seed and a first round bye in the NACC Tournament.
- WLC returns to conference action on Saturday when it hits the road to take on Concordia Chicago (9-13, 7-10 NACC) in River Forest, Ill., for a 4:15 p.m. tip time. The Cougars defeated Benedictine on a buzzer-beater Wednesday night, 61-59. In the first matchup of the season back on December 12 in Milwaukee, WLC defeated CUC, 71-62. Links to live stats and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.