FOND DU LAC, Wis. – Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) scored a game-high 19 points to lead the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team to its fifth straight victory as the Warriors defeated Marian 68-45 on Wednesday night at Sadoff Gymnasium.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 68, Marian 45
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (15-5, 13-2 NACC), Marian (5-15, 3-12 NACC)
- Location: Sadoff Gymnasium, Fond du Lac, Wis. | Attendance: 150
HOW IT HAPPENED
- WLC ran out to a 13-2 first quarter lead and Taylor Bahr's (Racine, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) layup at the end of the period put the Warriors in front 21-12.
- Marian kept the game within reach in the second quarter but Wisconsin Lutheran ended the second quarter on a 10-4 run to lead at halftime 37-20.
- In the opening half, the Warriors shot 43.8 percent (14-for-32) from the field, compared to Marian's 26.7 percent (8-for-30). Bahr led WLC with 11 points at the break.
- The Sabres got as close as 11 points at 37-26 with 7:42 remaining in the third. The teams went scoreless for the final 3:23 of the period as WLC held a 47-28 advantage.
- The Warriors built up a game-high 32-point lead at 68-36 with 3:18 to play in the fourth quarter. WLC's lead never dropped below 23 points from that point on.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden led the Warriors with a game-high 19 points and seven boards while also dishing out six assists.
- Bahr scored 15 points on 7-of-10 shooting and Maddie Cruz (New Berlin, Wis./Waukesha West) chipped in a season-high seven points off the bench.
- The Warriors shot 45.1 percent (23-for-51) from the floor, compared to just 32.2 percent for Marian (19-for-59).
- Wisconsin Lutheran's 12 turnovers are the fewest in a game since January 9 against Benedictine.
- Nicole Paulus paced the Sabres with 12 points. She was the only player to reach double-figures for Marian.
- WLC won its fifth straight contest and 16th straight over the Sabres to remain tied atop the NACC standings with Concordia Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin Lutheran returns home to the Recreation Complex for Winterfest on Saturday to face off against Benedictine (14-6, 11-4 NACC) for a 3:15 p.m. tip. The Eagles defeated Rockford 89-59 on Tuesday night. WLC won the first meeting of the season January 9 in Lisle, Ill., 55-42. Links to live audio, stats, and video will be available for the game at WLCSports.com.