MADISON, Wis. – Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) scored a game-high 17 points to lead three players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team pulled away late in the fourth quarter to defeat Edgewood 68-49 Wednesday night at the Todd Wehr Edgedome.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 68, Edgewood 49
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (13-5, 11-2 NACC), Edgewood (5-13, 4-9 NACC)
- Location: Todd Wehr Edgedome, Madison, Wis. | Attendance: 122
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors jumped out to a quick 7-2 lead to start the first quarter.
- Edgewood came back to take a 13-11 advantage late in the first for its last lead of the contest.
- Karisa Pedersen (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) knocked down a three before the end of the quarter to put WLC ahead 14-13.
- Wisconsin Lutheran built up a 30-20 lead with 2:10 remaining in the second quarter and led at the break, 32-25.
- WLC shot 44.4 percent (12-for-27) in the first half, compared to the Eagles' 45.0 percent (9-for-20). Knueppel scored 10 first-half points for the Warriors.
- Edgewood remained within single digits in the third quarter, coming within four points. Wisconsin Lutheran still led by nine points after three periods of play, 45-36.
- The Warriors broke the game open late in the fourth quarter. EC pulled within five points at 52-47 with 3:52 remaining in the game.
- WLC out-scored the Eagles 15-2 in the final minutes to put the game out of reach and coast to a 68-49 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Knueppel scored a game-high 17 points. Taylor Bahr (Racine, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) and Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis/Bonduel) both added 12 points apiece.
- Bahr grabbed a team-high eight rebounds.
- Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo./Conifer) added seven points and six boards off the bench for WLC.
- The Warriors shot 44.6 percent (25-for-56) from the floor, compared to just 35.3 percent for Edgewood (18-for-51).
- WLC dominated points in the paint 36-16 and out-rebounded EC 40-34.
- Rachel Pope paced the Eagles with 16 points. She was the only player to reach double-figures for Edgewood.
- The Warriors have won 10 straight games over the Eagles.
- Wisconsin Lutheran travels to Dominican (3-15, 2-11 NACC) on Saturday at 4:15 p.m. The Stars were defeated by Benedictine on Wednesday, 70-52. Live stats and video will be available for the game at wlcsports.com.