MILWAUKEE – Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) scored a game-high 24 points to lead three players in double-figures and the Warriors started the game with a 21-0 lead as the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team defeated Alverno 77-49 Saturday afternoon at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 77, Alverno 49
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (12-5, 10-2 NACC), Alverno (8-9, 5-7 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 154
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors sprinted out to an impressive 19-0 lead, holding the Inferno scoreless after the first quarter.
- WLC led 21-0 as Alverno was held scoreless until 7:28 left in the second quarter.
- Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) knocked down a three before the halftime buzzer and Wisconsin Lutheran led at the half, 39-19.
- WLC shot 50.0 percent (14-for-28) in the first half, compared to Alverno's 28.0 percent (7-for-25). Knueppel netted 13 first-half points for the Warriors.
- Wisconsin Lutheran still led by 20 points after three periods of play, 57-37.
- The Warriors would lead by as many as 30 points with 1:10 remaining and defeat the Inferno in their only match-up this season.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden scored a game-high 24 points on 10-for-13 shooting. Knueppel added 15 and Karisa Pedersen (Bonduel, Wis/Bonduel) chipped in 11.
- Taylor Bahr (Racine, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds on the afternoon.
- Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo./Conifer) and Holly Holm (East Troy, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) added eight and seven points off the bench, respectively.
- The Warriors' 54.8 percent (28-for-51) shooting was the highest output for the season as well as was their 46.7 percent (7-for-15) performance from downtown.
- WLC dominated points in the paint (36-18), out-rebounded AC 39-25, and scored 21 points off 18 Alverno turnovers.
- Brooke McBain paced the Inferno with 15 points. She was the only player to reach double-figures for Alverno.
- Wisconsin Lutheran travels to Madison to face Edgewood (4-12, 3-8 NACC) on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The Eagles defeated Dominican on Saturday, 61-53. WLC knocked off Edgewood 70-38 in Milwaukee on January 5. Live stats and video will be available for the game at wlcsports.com.