MILWAUKEE - Jen Dowden (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) scored a season-high 27 points to lead three players in double-figures as the Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team swept the season series from first-place MSOE with a 73-55 win over the Raiders on Tuesday night at the Recreation Complex.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 73, MSOE 55
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (11-5, 9-2 NACC), MSOE (11-5, 9-2 NACC)
- Location: Recreation Complex, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 121
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors held a slim early lead in the first quarter, but the Raiders rattled off 10 straight points over the final 3:39 of the opening quarter to take an 18-10 lead over the Warriors.
- MSOE extended its lead to a game-high 10 points on two different occasions early in the second quarter.
- WLC closed out the first half with a 9-4 spurt over the last 4:12 of the second quarter and went into halftime trailing 31-27.
- WLC shot 33.3 percent (10-for-30) in the first half, compared to MSOE's 42.4 percent (14-for-33). Dowden netted 12 first-half points for the Warriors, while the Raiders' Holly Denfeld also tallied 12.
- The Raiders pushed their lead back up to seven points early in the third quarter, but the Warriors battled back to take their first lead since early in the first quarter at 43-42.
- After the lead changed hands in favor of MSOE, a pair of Dowden free throws gave WLC a 47-46 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
- Wisconsin Lutheran never relinquished its lead in the fourth quarter, out-scoring MSOE 26-9. WLC held the Raiders to just two made field goals and 18.2 percent shooting in the period. Meanwhile, the Warriors shot 58.3 percent from the floor and were a perfect 12-for-12 from the charity stripe.
- WLC built its lead to a game-high 18 points when the final buzzer sounded.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden scored a season-high 27 points on 10-for-17 shooting and was 7-for-8 from the free throw line. Taylor Bahr (Racine, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) added 13 points and a team-best seven rebounds. Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) was the third Warrior to reach double-figures, as nine of her 12 points came from the free throw line.
- The Warriors' 41.5 percent shooting was the highest output in their last eight games.
- WLC's 28-for-33 performance (84.8 percent) at the free throw line was the highest for makes and attempts in a game this season.
- WLC finds itself amidst a three-way tie for first place in the NACC with Concordia Wisconsin and MSOE, as each team boasts a 9-2 NACC record. The Warriors control the tiebreaker over the Raiders as they've swept the season series.
- Wisconsin Lutheran now leads the all-time series with MSOE an unprecedented 50-2.
- Denfeld paced the Raiders with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
- Wisconsin Lutheran hosts Alverno (8-8, 5-6 NACC) on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. in its only meeting of the season. The Inferno defeated Concordia Chicago 85-74 on Tuesday night. Live audio, stats, and video will be available for the game at wlcsports.com.