LISLE, Ill. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's basketball team handed Benedictine its first conference defeat of the season 55-42 behind Jen Dowden's (Bonduel, Wis./Bonduel) 15 points and Taylor Bahr's (Racine, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) double-double of 13 points and 10 rebounds Saturday afternoon at the Rice Center.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 55, Benedictine 42
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (10-3, 8-0 NACC), Benedictine (10-3, 7-1 NACC)
- Location: Rice Center, Lisle, Ill. | Attendance: 177
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors jumped out to a quick 9-2 lead and never trailed in the contest.
- Benedictine closed the gap to 10-8 at the end of the first quarter.
- WLC used a 13-4 run throughout the second quarter to lead at the half 23-14.
- Wisconsin Lutheran shot 32.3 percent in the first half and held the Eagles to 20.8 percent shooting.
- BenU went on a 10-4 run in the third quarter to cut the Warriors' lead to 32-27. The Eagles would outscore WLC by three in the period, but Wisconsin Lutheran retained a 38-32 lead.
- Benedictine came as close as four points at 40-36 with 8:03 remaining, but would not pull any closer.
- Wisconsin Lutheran used a 10-2 run to break open the game and have its largest lead of the game of 13 points.
- With the victory, WLC remains the only undefeated team in conference play.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Dowden led the Warriors with a game-high 15 points and nine rebounds.
- Bahr contributed a double-double of 13 points and 10 boards.
- Caitlin Knueppel (Wauwatosa, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) added eight points and Maddy Elrod (Conifer, Colo./Conifer) chipped in seven off the bench.
- WLC held Benedictine without a made field goal from beyond the arc in the contest (0-for-12).
- Wisconsin Lutheran controlled points in the paint (28-18) and second chance points (13-7).
- Raven Willis paced the Eagles with 10 points as the only player in double-figures for Benedictine.
- The Warriors return home to face NACC rival Concordia Wisconsin (8-3, 5-2 NACC) next Wednesday at 7 p.m. MSOE defeated the Falcons 74-70 on Tuesday. Live audio, stats, and video will be available for the game at wlcsports.com.